Apply to EOP
Who Can Apply
The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) is designed for undergraduate students that meet all of the following criteria:
- Are considered California residents or AB540 students.
- Have a history of low-income (as determined by the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application, EFC under $1500. EFC between $1501-3500 will only be considered if there is space available in the program).
- Are from an educationally disadvantaged background. Students must be the first generation of their family to earn a four year college degree. The students' parents cannot have earned a Bachelor's degree in any country.
The Cal State Apply website lists EOP deadlines for all 23 campuses: https://www2.calstate.edu/attend/student-services/eop/Documents/eop-admission-by-term.pdf [pdf]
How to Apply to EOP
STEP 1: Cal State Apply
- Apply for SJSU admission and EOP by December 4, 2020 for Fall 2021 deadline via Cal State Apply.
- December 4, 2020 is the EOP priority processng deadline, with a final deadline of January 15, 2021 to submit your EOP Application.
- To be fair and equitable to all students, we do not accept late or incomplete applications.
- Students are only admitted to EOP at the start of their CSU/SJSU undergraduate career and are not eligible to apply for EOP at a later date or semester.
Note for returning SJSU EOP students or CSU EOP transfers: If you meet one of the following criteria, you must email the EOP Office by January 31.
- If you are a returning SJSU EOP student, email the EOP Office for EOP re-certification.
- If you are a transfer from a CSU EOP (you were an EOP students at a prior California State University), email the EOP Office for EOP verification.
STEP 2: Letters of Recommendation
- Applications to EOP must have two (2) Letters of Recommendation submitted online via Cal State Apply by January 31. No late submissions for any reason.
- Due to the volume of applicants, EOP can not individually check the status of your application/form.
- All recommendations must be submitted online via Cal State Apply ONLY.
- No paper letters/forms will be accepted.
STEP 3: FAFSA or CA Dream Act
- Fall EOP applicants must have the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application complete and submitted by EOP deadline of January 31.
Important Notes About Applying to EOP
Spring Semester Additions
- EOP at SJSU does not offer spring acceptance into the program.
- We are closed for new applicants for Spring 2021 and Spring 2022.
- Returning SJSU EOP students should email us for recertification.
I've Applied - Now What?
- Continually check Cal State Apply to keep track of your recommendation forms.
- EOP Acceptance decisions will be sent out in early April 2021.
- Visit us virtually on Admitted Spartan Day in April.
- Make sure to follow all the necessary steps required by university admissions.
EOP Programs for Frosh & Transfers
- Accepted students in EOP are required to attend either Summer Bridge 2.0 (Frosh) or Transfer Connect (Transfers).
- The EOP programs are mandatory and does NOT take the place of university Orientation.
- More information will be sent out at the time in June/July.