As an Honor Student, you will work in teams with other similarly qualified students on a significant and meaningful project at a major organization in Silicon Valley where you can apply what you have learned in the classroom to real world business problems. You will gain much sought after work experience in high profile projects that will greatly enhance your educational experience and give you a significant edge over other new entrants into the job market. You will also receive other benefits such as networking events with alumni and project sponsors, high level speakers from around Silicon Valley, and training in important areas such as project management, presentation skills, interviewing tips, executive briefings on contemporary business issues, ethical business practices and incorporating values into business decisions.
In addition, students who successfully complete the Sbona Honors Program can be granted a waiver for the GMAT/GRE requirement for application into the Lucas MBA programs, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Graduate with honors (details on the Current Student page) from the Sbona Honors Program, as verified by the department honors faculty
- Apply for admission to the Lucas MBA programs within five year of their graduation date.
This semester, due to the dangers of the Corona Virus, the information session will be conducted online by department. Students can attend this session to learn more about the honors program in their department and the application requirements.
The session will be held on Monday, Nov 2nd, 2020 from 5:30 to 6:30 on zoom. Please contact your department honor faculty for details and Zoom link.. This session is not mandatory and you can still apply for the program by the deadline listed below.
Application Process and Requirements
To be eligible for the Sbona Honors Program, you need to:
- Be in your second semester at SJSU prior to applying for the program. (Transfer students).
- Have a GPA of 3.25 or better in upper-division business classes. This means all business classes numbered Bus 100 and above, plus Business Ethics (186) and 100W (whether designated “Bus” or not).
- Have completed the required prerequisite courses in your concentration (as required by your department)
- Have submitted a complete application form (see below)
To complete the application form, you will need:
- An unofficial transcript of your SJSU grades, pasted into the application form
- An essay of no more than 500 words on the topic indicated by your department, pasted into your application form
- Letters of recommendation, as required by your department. Instructions for submission are included on the application form.
- If you have any questions about your eligibility or the application process, please contact the honors faculty listed on your department honors web page (see links below).
- Here is the application form
- Deadline: Your complete application form is due by Monday, November 23rd, 2020
Sponsoring Firms: See the business sponsor page for a list of businesses that have sponsored Sbona Honor student projects.
Want to Join a Select Few?
Join a select few – Check out and apply to the applicable program listed below: