We will be national actors in our emerging discipline, developing a unique pedagogy and engaging with community agencies in applied research and policy development.
- Improve governance and operational models
- Streamline governance and consultative processes.
- Reduce “bureaucracy” as much as possible.
- Enhance faculty research, grants/contracts, and dissemination
- Provide designated support for grant development, proposals, dissemination/travel.
- Develop collaborative ventures with specific University of California partners.
- Profile faculty grants and research.
- Plan, develop, and profile the research and policy unit (CJRPT).
- Investigate a possible joint doctoral program.
- Review and revise retention, tenure and promotion policies to ensure research/grants.
- Review curriculum alignment with vision, mission, and directions
- Determine programmatic areas for emphasis and possible growth.
- Enhance faculty technological capabilities and thus departmental capacity for change.
- Define the unique pedagogy of Justice Studies.
- Investigate extension of special session program with support of technology.
- Integrate Forensic Science more completely with Justice Studies
- Develop a plan for the further integration of Forensic Studies with Justice Studies.
- Identify courses for cross-listing within the Department.
- Enhance opportunities for team teaching cross-listed courses.
- Define standards and support for student success
- Review standards for admission and graduation.
- Establish and monitor school-wide policies and standards.
- Improve retention and graduation rates.
- Develop a plan to monitor and support first year students.
- Develop a consistent and congruent plan for tracking graduates.
- Focus operations on strategic planning, communication, cohesion, revenue streams,
- Identify and streamline unnecessary steps in processes.
- Streamline processes using e-tools.
- Identify and develop potential revenue streams (continuing education, donations, grants, special session).
- Establish and maintain contact with alumni and retired professors.
- Enhance faculty orientation and structured mentoring programs.
- Provide opportunities for shared learning among faculty (e.g., technology for teaching and learning).
- Develop quality service assessment tools to create baseline data and annual reviews.
- Ensure that strategic planning is an ongoing process not an event.
Strategic plan adopted May 2012.