Figure 1: STITCH Version 1.0
STITCH is a new software capability that allows a non-expert to create and verify a stitched simulation model. This tool features a graphical user interface (GUI) and MATLAB-based infrastructure in which the user supplies point linear models and trim data, and STITCH generates a Simulink stitched model block and corresponding MATLAB data ﬁle. The stitched simulation model can then be used for continuous, real-time full-envelope piloted simulation or ﬂight control evaluation within hardware-in-the-loop simulation.
Model stitching is the technique of combining or “stitching” together individual linear models and trim data for discrete ﬂight conditions to produce a continuous, full ﬂight-envelope simulation model. In this technique, the stability and control derivatives and trim data for each discrete point model are stored as a function of key parameters such as airspeed and altitude. The look-up of trim and derivatives is combined with nonlinear equations of motion and nonlinear gravitational force equations to produce a continuous, quasi-nonlinear stitched simulation model.
- Intuitive graphical user interface that guides the user through the model setup and generation process
- Support for rotorcraft and ﬁxed-wing aircraft
- Processing of raw ﬂight-test data
- Automated generation/veriﬁcation of Simulink stitched model
- Accurate extrapolation to off-nominal conditions (speed, weight, center of gravity, inertia, altitude)
- Direct access to CIFER® database to import identiﬁed point models for stitched model generation
- Interactive plotting utilities
- Help documentation via links on each screen
STITCH version 1.0 is available as of March 2019
Figure 2: Project Setup
Figure 3: Anchor Point Models and Trim Data
Figure 4: Stitched Model Linearization Veriﬁcation
- Tobias, E. L. and Tischler, M. B., “A Model Stitching Architecture for Continuous Full Flight-Envelope Simulation of Fixed-Wing Aircraft and Rotorcraft from Discrete-Point Linear Models,” U.S. Army AMRDEC Special Report RDMR-AF-16-01, April 2016.
- Tobias, E., Sanders, F., Tischler, M., “Full-Envelope Stitched Simulation Model of a Quadcopter Using STITCH,” American Helicopter Society 74th Annual Forum, Phoenix, AZ, May 2018.