Guangzhou, China - Winter Study Abroad
The Guangzhou, China FLP (faculty-led program) is currently on hiatus.
To see which programs are currently being offered, check the SJSU Study Abroad and Away website.
A Bite Size into a Big Culture
China’s history is rich and long; its population is massive; its culture is diverse in itself and in contrast to the world. So where do we start?
FLP China invites you to spend 12 days in Guangzhou to “taste” as you get to know more about China. What brings us all together is our desire for good food as a universal human need.
Through this “conversation starter,” each of us gets to connect to the locals and find our own way to learn about the Cantonese culture and communication. You may be surprised how much alike we actually are. Your insight is gained by BEING in such a unique culture.
4 Units - Open to All Majors
- All majors are welcome.
- You will enroll in COMM 161F, earning 4 units.
- All class levels from Freshmen to Master's students are welcome.
- If you're not a COMM major, please contact your advisor about how to use this course toward your major requirements.
Points to Discuss With Your Major Advisor:
- Welcome ceremony at a local Cantonese dim sum restaurant
- Guided tour of the new and old sides of the city
- Foot massage night
- Riding in China’s most efficient public transportation metro
- Visit to iFlyTek, the cutting-edge company that developed YuDian (dubbed the Chinese Siri)
- Trip to the Cantonese Opera Museum, and learn about the Cantonese language movement
- Farewell dinner at Guangzhou’s most popular seafood market restaurant
The cost of the 2020 Guangzhou program was $3,995 and included:
- 4 units of coursework
- Hotel accommodation in a double-room in central Guangzhou
- Daily breakfast
- Subway transportation pass
- All course excursions
- Welcome dim sum
- Farewell dinner
- Roughly ½ of the meals during the two weeks
- Health insurance for the duration of the course
- OPC (Onsite Program Coordinator) 24/7 on-call
*Note that the course fee does not include airfare and visa.
Students arrange their own flights to/from China in consultation with the course leader. Consider extending your travels by coming early and/or staying on in China after the course ends.
The program will provide helpful tips and credible travel agencies for your visa service.
Grants and Financial Aid
Competitive grants and scholarships are available to help defray costs. Financial aid is available for students who take six or more units. Some majors/colleges may have specific scholarships for those wanting to study abroad.
Please contact the course leader for more info.
When it runs, this program can only accept a limited number of students. Cohort size is estimated to be 15 students, so be sure to get your application in as soon as possible!
Applications for upcoming programs can be submitted via the SJSU FLP Application site.
Email the program leader Ching Ching Tan: email@example.com