COMM major and minor advising runs from August 21st to December 19th.
All advising drop-in and appointment times and locations are posted in Spartan Connect. We have included below, our drop-in hours with Zoom links and directions on how to locate appointments in Spartan Connect.
Unable to access Spartan Connect? Please email your name and ID number to the COMM Advising Director for help scheduling your next COMM major or minor advising appointment.
COMM advisors do not conduct advising when the campus is closed. See our academic calendar for closure dates.
- Locate Drop-in Advising
We offer virtual drop-in advising. Log in to Spartan Connect. Select View Drop-in Times when searching for drop-in advising with our department and the CoSS Student Success Center (CoSS SSC). We also included our drop-in times and Zoom hyperlinks below.
Virtual Drop-ins with Professor Sunseri
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
On-campus Drop-ins with Professor Williams
Mondays in HGH 208 from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Special Advising Topics
If you are seeking advising to discuss your disqualification, reinstatement, returning to SJSU, major academic notice, COMM course transfer and equivalencies (including study abroad courses), COMM major/minor substitutions, or need international student ISSS paperwork signed, please email Dr. Morrison to schedule an appointment.
- Schedule an Appointment
We have limited appointment times during the fall. Please consider seeing an advisor during our drop-in times for faster assistance with your major/minor advising needs.
You may check for open appointments by signing in to Spartan Connect and selecting Academic Advising and either GE Planning or Communication Studies Major/Minor Advising. If you wish to change your major to COMM, select Change your major into Communication Studies.
Please review the tutorial and the university no-show policy below before scheduling your next appointment.
Special Advising Topics
If you are seeking an appointment to discuss your disqualification, reinstatement, returning to SJSU, major academic notice, COMM course transfer and equivalencies (including study abroad courses), COMM major/minor substitutions, or need international student ISSS paperwork signed, please email Dr. Morrison to schedule an appointment.
- Important Registration Dates
September 15th: Last Day to Drop Classes without a "W" Grade and Last Day to Add Classes via MySJSU (ends at 11:59 pm).
September 19th: Late Add Post Census Request required, Petition available at 9 a.m.
September 19th: Late Drop/ Semester Withdrawal Petition Requirement begins
December 6th: Last Day of Instruction & Last Day to Complete Coursework for "Incomplete Grades"
October 9th: Winter Enrollment Appointments Viewable on MySJSU
October 11th: Advanced Registration for SJSU Students
October 25th: First day of Excess of Units Petition form and students who need to repeat a class
December 14th: Registration closes at 11:59 pm with no add/drop activities. Registration will reopen on the first day of instruction on January 2, 2024, with payment due the same day.
December 17th: Payment due date for courses added from Oct 11 - Dec 14
October 24th: Enrollment Appointments Viewable on MySJSU
October 31st: Advanced Registration Begins, Waitlist starts
December 27th: Enrollment Cap increased to 19 units for Graduating Seniors who filed by 10/13/23
January 2nd: Excess Units petition available
January 10th: Enrollment Cap increased to 19 units for Continuing Undergraduate Students in Good Standing
January 21st: Advance Registration Ends & Last Day to Drop for 100% Refund
January 22nd - 23rd: Registration Closed
January 24th: First Day of Instruction & Late Registration Begins on MySJSU after 7am
February 19th: Last Day to Drop Classes without a "W" Grade and Last Day to Add Classes via MySJSU
- Learn about the COMM Major & Minors
- Review our B.A. in Comm Studies and our Minor in Comm Studies which summarizes our program requirements.
- Read COMM course descriptions and review the COMM major and minor requirements by catalog year in the SJSU online academic catalog.
- Scroll through this COMM Advising page for important information on completing your degree.
- Change Your Major to COMM
To change your major to Communication Studies, follow these steps:
- First, maintain an overall/SJSU GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Next, complete 6-8 units of COMM classes with a 2.0 GPA or higher.
- If you are a lower-division student, i.e. you have fewer than 60 UE (units earned), then complete 6-8 units of lower-division COMM courses, which are numbered 1-99 (e.g. COMM 10, COMM 20, COMM 74, etc.). Be sure to earn a 2.0 or higher in each of these classes.
- If you are an upper-division student, i.e. you have 60 or more UE (units earned), then complete 6-8 units of upper-division COMM courses, which are numbered 100-199 (e.g. COMM 100W, COMM 174, COMM 157SL, etc.). Be sure to earn a 2.0 or higher in each of these classes.
- Not sure how many UE you have? Log into MySJSU and view your unofficial transcript for this information.
- Finally, after you have completed all of the steps above, email or meet with a COMM advisor through Spartan Connect. Your advisor will verify that you've met all of these requirements and then complete your change of major to COMM.
- COMM Transfer Students
Already Accepted? Congratulations! You can learn about the COMM major and what to enroll in for you first semester by reviewing our COMM Transfer Day Orientation slides.
Please visit Student Experience for Transfers (SET) for more information about your transfer orientation. We also recommend you review the following tutorials and resources:
- Applied Activity Requirement
All COMM majors must complete the 2-unit Applied Activity requirement. This requirement is typically completed over two semesters (1-unit per semester). Each Applied Activity is coordinated by a different department program and faculty member, and each one has its own application process. Carefully review our Applied Activity page for a list of our program options and how to apply.
You may not self-enroll in COMM 198 courses. You will need to apply to a program. You will receive a permission number to enroll in COMM 198 once admitted to a program.
- Track Your Degree Requirements
All COMM majors and minors should use the following tools to regularly track their progress.
Available online 24/7, these are the same tools that our COMM Advisors use during their advising sessions with you.
MyProgress is a powerful online advising tool that allows you to check your progress towards all of your degree requirements, including GE, SJSU Studies, GPA, major, minor, and much more. For detailed information on how to use MyProgress, visit the MyProgress for Students page.
MyPlanner is an interactive online tool that undergraduate students can use to map their entire academic path to graduation. For detailed information on how to use this resource, visit the MyPlanner page.
MyPlanner has some limitations; for example, it does not consider that some courses can be substituted or double-counted, so be sure to validate your changes on MyPlanner with an advisor.
MyRoadMap is a helpful tool for planning out what classes to take when. It shows you a generalized 2-year (for transfer students) or 4-year (for frosh) plan towards your degree, with all the required courses for your major as well as their sequence. For detailed information on how to use this resource, visit the the MyRoadMaps page.
- GE Advising with CoSS SSC
You have GE, SJSU Studies, and other university requirements to meet in addition to your major and minor. As a COMM major, you can get advising on these areas at the CoSS Student Success Center (CoSS SSC). We recommend you meet with a GE advisor in CoSS-SSC every semester before enrolling in courses.
Consult the SJSU Advising Hub for even more advising support and resources.
- Apply for Graduation
- Change Your Graduation Date
Need to change your graduation date? No problem - it's quick and easy!
Follow these steps to change your graduation date.
- Please complete the CoSS Grad Date Change Form.
- Type in your name and email address.
- Type in the name and email address of your major advisor and Graduation Evaluator.
- Click the Begin Signing button at the bottom of the form.
- Once you have completed and signed the form, it will be routed to the other signees for review and processing.
- For more details, look over SJSU Graduation Date Changes page.
Your COMM Advising Team
Dr. Jennifer Morrison
COMM Advising Director
Disqualification, Reinstatement, Returning Student, Major Academic Notice, COMM Course
Transfer and Equivalencies (including study abroad courses), COMM Major/Minor Substitutions,
International COMM Majors, COMM Major and Minor advising, Change of Major to COMM,
and Declaring a COMM Minor
Professor Mary Anne Sunseri
COMM Undergraduate Advisor
COMM Major and Minor advising, Change of Major to COMM, and Declaring COMM Minor