Graduating with honors is a mark of distinction, open to no more than 10% of the department's graduating class.
Students who have a strong academic record can achieve honors by taking one of our MA graduate seminars.
Eligibility for COMM Honors
(all requirements must be met by graduation)
- Achieve a minimum GPA of 3.5 in their four-unit, upper division courses in the major (i.e., the F, I, and P courses), 101C, and 199C
- Earn an overall SJSU GPA of at least 3.0
- Complete 22 units in SJSU's Communication Studies department
- Complete a COMM graduate seminar (200-level course) with a B or better (students receiving a B- or lower will receive course credit but will not be eligible for honors)
- If you believe you are eligible and wish to apply, please email the Honors Coordinator, Dr. Marie Haverfield at email@example.com with the subject heading "Application for honors (Name, ID#)." Please include in the email:
- You will be contacted to confirm that you are a candidate for honors.
Honors candidates must enroll in (and pass) one of the department’s MA graduate-level seminars. This course can replace one of the required courses in the undergraduate major (either COMM 199C or one of the F, I, or P requirements.) Alternatively, the seminar can be counted towards elective units, or it can be counted towards an MA in Communication Studies. (This option is contingent on acceptance to the MA Program.)
If you plan to graduate in the spring, contact Dr. Haverfield by November 15 of the previous semester. If you plan to graduate in the fall, contact Dr. Haverfield by April 15 of the previous semester.
Honors candidates will be notified of the available graduate seminars shortly before registration. Students are admitted to seminars at the discretion of graduate faculty. Applications received after the deadline will be accepted pending enrollment capacity.
Because no more than 10% of the graduating class can receive the honors designation, candidacy does not necessarily guarantee that a student will be awarded honors. In the event that more than 10% of the graduating class has achieved candidacy, applicants will be rated according to overall GPA. Those with top GPAs will receive priority. In recent years, all applicants who passed their MA seminars have received honors.
Please contact Dr. Marie Haverfield at firstname.lastname@example.org.