Graduating with honors is a mark of distinction, open to no more than 10% of the department's graduating class.
Eligibility for COMM Honors
- Complete 22 units in the Communication Studies major
- Maintain a department GPA of at least 3.5
- Maintain an overall SJSU GPA of at least 3.0
- If you believe you are eligible and wish to apply, please email the Honors Coordinator Oona Hatton at email@example.com with the subject heading "Application for honors." Your email should include:
- You will be contacted to confirm that you are a candidate for honors.
Honors candidates must enroll in (and pass) one of the department’s MA graduate-level seminars. This course can replace one of the required courses in the undergraduate major (either COMM 199C or one of the F, I, or P requirements.) Alternatively, the seminar can be counted towards elective units or it can be counted towards an MA in Communication Studies. (Note that this option would be contingent on your acceptance to the MA Program.)
If you plan to graduate in the spring, contact Dr. Hatton by November 1 of the previous semester. If you plan to graduate in the fall, contact Dr. Hatton by April 1 of the previous semester.
Because no more than 10% of the graduating class can receive the honors designation, candidacy does not necessarily guarantee acceptance. Applicants will be rated according to overall GPA; those with top GPAs will receive priority. In recent years, all applicants who passed their MA seminars have received honors.
Please contact Dr. Oona Hatton at firstname.lastname@example.org.