Domestic Steps to Admission

For purposes of admission to SJSU, please apply to the following category based on your current citizenship or visa status:

Domestic Application

  • US Citizen 
  • Permanent Resident/Greencard holder
  • Refugee/Asylees
  • DACA
  • AB540
  • Visa Status (H4, H1B, L1, L2, F2, J2, TN, TD)


*Please note: If you are currently on an H4 or F2 visa and want to convert to an F1 student visa, please apply as a Domestic applicantIf admitted, you will need to work with the International Student & Scholars Services (ISSS) Office to apply for a change of status.

If you are NOT in the above categories, see International Steps to Admission.

Apply to SJSU

Step 1: Meet all Requirements

Review eligibility requirements for graduate education at SJSU. Investigate your intended degree program to find out if they require a separate department application, letters of recommendation, graduate tests, or have specific department procedures.

Once you decide to apply, follow the Graduate Application Process flowchart which illustrates the steps involved in the graduate admission process for students from the U.S. and Canada.

The Steps to Graduate Admission publication includes step-by-step instructions for completing the graduate admission process.

Step 2: Meet all Deadlines

Review our deadlines to know when you have to submit your Cal State Apply application and document requirements. It is important to take special note of the document deadline in order to ensure timely submission of required documents.

See our Document Submission Requirements by Applicant Type to help you prepare your documents in advance of your application.  

Step 3: Apply Online

Apply online to San José State University. This step must be done regardless of any extra steps you have to do with your specific graduate program. Our online application is done through Cal State Apply. For a step-by-step guide on how to complete the Cal State Apply application for SJSU, visit our SJSU Graduate Domestic Application Tutorial (Spring/Summer 2020 or Fall 2020). You may only apply to one program per application term.

IMPORTANT: If you are currently on a visa (H4, F2, L1, L2, H1B, J2, etc.), you will need to correctly designate yourself as a domestic applicant at the beginning of your Cal State Apply application during the “Complete Your Profile” section.

If you are currently on a visa (H4, F2, L1, H1b, J2, etc.) select ‘No’ to the question: “Do you have or will you require a student visa (F-1 or J-1) to study at a California State University (CSU)?”.  

Note: You will pay the application fee at the time you submit your Cal State Apply application. 

The fee is non-refundable, even if your application is withdrawn                          or denied. It is only used for the admission term indicated on                              the submitted application.  Fee waivers are not available for                                graduate applicants at this time. Former students in good                                  standing who plan to return after an absence of more than one                          semester must submit a new admission application.

Step 4: Submit Official Transcripts

U.S./Canadian Transcripts

All mailed transcripts must be sealed and unopened to be accepted as official documents. If your university offers official electronic transcripts, we will also accept and prefer this method of delivery. If your University requires an email to send an official, electronic transcript, please send to:  If you are currently an undergraduate student at SJSU, you do not have to submit SJSU transcripts with your Graduate School application.Transcripts sent by mail, should be sent to:

Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations
San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0017

NOTE: As a reminder, the application process is a two-step process and official transcripts are required by Graduate Admissions to be sent to the address listed above. Your department may also request transcripts to be sent directly to the department. If additional transcripts are required by the department, please check with the department for the departmental address. 

Re-applying to SJSU

Official transcripts are held for one year. If you apply the following year, you must re-submit transcripts. You can check your "To Do List" at MySJSU to confirm any outstanding documents needed after you apply.

International WES Evaluations

Submit a WES evaluation to SJSU for coursework completed outside of U.S., U.S. Territories, and Canada.

International School Work and Degrees

GAPE requires that all applicants with international coursework provide a WES (World Education Services) evaluation for any educational work taken outside of the U.S., U.S. Territories & Canada. Mark sheets/transcripts/degree certificates must be sent directly to WES for evaluation. SJSU must receive the academic record and the evaluation directly from WES. A complete WES evaluation is required. GAPE will also review applications of those in their final year of study. For these applicants, the WES Evaluation must contain a minimum of 7 semesters of graded work.

  • SJSU prefers the WES document-by-document evaluations (Basic or ICAP) but will also accept course-by-course evaluations (Basic or ICAP).
  • The ICAP service offered by WES is for applicants applying to multiple schools that require WES evaluations. You can decide which service from WES you prefer. Learn more at

  • View illustrated instructions on how to send documents through WES.

  • After you submit your documents to WES, DO NOT send a copy of your documents to our office as we will receive the completed evaluation directly from WES electronically. Documents sent directly to SJSU will not be accommodated.
  • International Evaluators use WES to validate the authenticity of degrees and transcripts submitted by applicants.
  • International Evaluators determine degree equivalency and extract an equivalent GPA from the university transcripts as SJSU does not use the GPA calculations provided by WES. Applications will be referred or denied in accordance with CSU eligibility standards currently in practice.
  • Applicants who are admitted but reviewed with only 7 semesters of evaluated work will be required to submit final semester mark sheets/transcripts and their degree certificate to WES for a revised evaluation. The final documents must be sent to SJSU by the deadline posted in the applicant’s MySJSU account. Failure to comply with these requirements will result in a “document hold” that will prevent future    registration into classes. Document holds are removed when documents    are received and verified as meeting all requirements.
  • NOTE: Those earning degrees in the Bologna system must submit a completed evaluation which includes ALL academic work and proof of degree on ferral. Bologna degrees are carefully reviewed and therefore must be complete. Applicants earning a Bologna degree will not be                                  considered if apartial WES evaluation is submitted. SJSU does NOT deem                          the 3-year bachelor’s degree from India as comparable to a 4-year U.S.                            bachelor’s degree. Therefore it will not meet the CSU eligibility                                        requirements.


Step 5: Submit Test Scores 

English Language Proficiency

This requirement is designated for applicants whose primary language is not English.

SJSU’s interprets “where English is the principal language of instruction” to mean that the higher education institution is located in a country in which English is the official language (the daily medium of communication of the majority of residents) and that the students receive academic instruction in all subjects (except foreign language courses) at all levels of education in English. Therefore, letters attesting to English as the principal medium of instruction from institutions in countries where English is not the official language, will not be accepted.  SJSU does not accept an “English-medium of instruction” as a substitute for an English-language proficiency exam such as TOEFL, IELTS, or the Pearson’s Test of English. Letters from applicants or institutions will NOT be accepted. Requests to waive this requirement will only be considered under the following circumstances.

Countries currently meeting the above requirement are: the U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada – excluding Quebec, Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua, Bahamas, Belize Barbados,                          Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago), U.K.                                      (England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales), Australia, New Zealand                          and the Philippines.

                        TOEFL/IELTS/PTE will only be waived once the official                                        transcripts have been reviewed proving that one of the criteria                            below has been met.

  • Received a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution within the U.S.
  • Completed 3 years of full-time coursework in a regionally accredited institution within the U.S.
  • Completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree from one of the countries outside of the US meet the requirement (see full list above).  

                         Other Test Scores

                       Please review our Test Requirements page to see if your                                     program of interest requires the GRE or GMAT.

                       Our ETS code for the TOEFL and GRE is 4687.

                       Request your IELTS scores be mailed to:

                        Graduate Admissions and Program Evaluations
                        San José State University 
                        One Washington Square 
                        San José, CA 95192-0017

Step 6: Establish Residency

California Residency

The laws of California provide that every student in the California State University system must be classified as either a resident or non-resident for tuition purposes. Applicants have the ultimate burden of proving their residence classification. For admission, you must have established California residency approximately one year prior to the start of the admission term.