India Three-Year Bachelor Degrees

Can I get into a graduate program with a three-year bachelor's degree from India?

Unfortunately, no.

However, here are some general guidelines: If you continue your education in India, you might consider continuing your education in the same or related field from an accredited university and earn a master's degree in India. The 2 year master's degree plus the 3 years bachelor's in India is equivalent to the four years bachelor's degree in the U.S. We will also accept an additional year of coursework culminating in the Postgraduate Diploma from an accredited university that is in the same or closed related field as your 3 year bachelor's degree.

Note: Years of study must culminate in that degree's equivalency to the 4 years of comprehensive study in the U.S. Within the Indian educational system, we consider this culmination to be either the masters degree or the Post Graduate Diploma from an accredited university, therefore, you cannot simply take more courses without a resultant PG diploma or masters degree. If you earn the masters degree or postgraduate diploma in India we will need the provisional and final degree certificate upon graduation.

If you remain in the United States, it is recommended that students with a three-year degree apply for undergraduate admissions at a four year regionally accredited college or university as an upper division (junior or senior level) transfer student and complete a bachelor's degree. Depending on how many transfer units are awarded, it should take about two years of full-time study to earn a U.S. bachelor's degree. If you decide to do this, please make an appointment with an Undergraduate Admissions Counselor at the college you plan to attend who works closely with international transfer students. To meet with an admissions counselor at San José State, go to Student Outreach and Recruitment to view the pre-admission counseling hours or call 408-924-2564.