Master of Science in Computer Science
The Master of Science program gives students the opportunity to further their knowledge in foundational and applied topics, preparing them for advanced industrial or research positions. Students are expected to complete six graduate level courses, two electives, and two semesters of project work. Full-time students generally take two years to complete the program. The program is available to students with a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related discipline. In order to ensure small class sizes and individual supervision of projects, the size of the program is limited and applications are competitive.
Why Choose the M.S. Computer Science Program at SJSU?
- We offer a rigorous program that combines fundamentals, applications, and innovation in computer science.
- The department has over 15 full-time professors with research and professional experience in many areas of computer science, including big data, software engineering, security, networking, machine learning, and bioinformatics.
- Special topics courses are offered by adjunct faculty from major Silicon Valley companies such as Google and IBM.
- In addition to providing a solid foundation through coursework, the graduate program is designed so that you will gain experience working on original projects of substance, preparing you for employment at an advanced level.
- Small classes and individual research projects will give you one-on-one contact with our faculty.
- Our selective admission process ensures that you will interact with other highly qualified students from Silicon Valley and around the world.
- The computer science department has established relationships with IBM, Sun Microsystems, Hewlett-Packard, and other Silicon Valley companies.
- San Jose State University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report to be in the top 10 public colleges and universities in the West that offer undergraduate and masters' programs.