ENGL 1A and Stretch English
English 1A and Stretch English prepare you to join scholarly conversations across the university. You will explore how reading and writing support the kinds of inquiry that you will engage to tackle any writing task—whatever the subject and whatever the discipline.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- read actively and rhetorically.
- perform the essential steps in the writing process (prewriting, organizing, composing, revising, and editing) and demonstrate an awareness of said performance.
- articulate an awareness of and write according to the rhetorical features of texts, such as purpose, audience, context, and rhetorical appeals.
- integrate your ideas and those of others by explaining, analyzing, developing, and criticizing ideas effectively in several genres.
- use college-level language with clarity and grammatical proficiency.
Prerequisites: Reflection on College Writing
Satisfies GE Area A2: Written Communication I (with a grade of C- or better)
A one-semester, 3-unit course.
a yearlong course, offered in two 3-unit courses.
|Course Catalog ID||ENGL 1A||ENGL 1AF||ENGL 1AS|
|Meets Area A2 for GE graduation credit||Yes||No||Yes|
|College credits earned||3 units||3 units||3 units|
|Open to all entering freshmen||Yes||Yes||No|
|Pre-Requisite||Reflection on College Writing||Reflection on College Writing||Credit in ENGL 1AF|
|Offered Fall and Spring?||Yes||Only in fall||Only in spring|