Minor in Creative Writing
Check with the Creative Writing Major Advisor at least once each semester to track your progress.
To be awarded a minor, at least 12 units of coursework must be completely distinct and separate from the coursework in the major (University Policy S16-4).
Be sure to apply for the Creative Writing Awards and Scholarships available each Spring. Join the English Department Google group for announcements (email English Department for details).
Note: Click on courses for pop-up descriptions.
Course Requirements: 18-19 Units
Lower Division: (3 Units)
- ENGL 71 Creative Writing
Upper Division: (12 Units)
- ENGL 130 Fiction Writing
- ENGL 131 Poetry Writing
- ENGL 133 Reed Magazine
- ENGL 135 Creative Nonfiction Writing
Literature Courses: (Complete one of the following courses, 3-4 Units)
- ENGL 50 Beginnings to the "American" Experiment
- ENGL 60 The Emergence of "British" and "American" Literatures (1680-1860)
- ENGL 70 Emerging Modernisms and Beyond
- ENGL 149 The Romantic Period
- ENGL 150 The Victorian Age
- ENGL 151 Twentieth Century Poetry
- ENGL 153B Nineteenth Century British Novel
- ENGL 161 American Literature to 1830
- ENGL 162 American Literature: 1830-1865
- ENGL 163 American Literature: 1865-1910
- ENGL 164 American Literature: 1910-1945
- ENGL 165 Topics in Ethnic American Literature
- ENGL 166 American Literature since 1945
- ENGL 167 Steinbeck
- ENGL 168 The American Novel
- ENGL 169 Ethnicity in American Literature
- ENGL 176 The Short Story
- ENGL 177 Twentieth Century Fiction