Ten Reasons to Apply for an MA in English
- Small seminar classes (averaging 15-16 students) taught by actively publishing, available faculty
- Wide range of seminars in American, British, and World Literature as well as seminars in literary research, rhetoric, and composition studies
- Numerous cash awards for student writing
- MA increases secondary school teachers’ salaries
- MA or other advanced degree required for teaching in California Junior Colleges
- Option to continue graduate study in major doctoral programs
- Teaching opportunities while completing the degree through the department’s Graduate Assistant and Teaching Associate programs
- Chance to take creative writing workshops taught in the MFA program
- Option of writing an MA Thesis
- Opportunity to be part of an active intellectual, artistic, and social community.
For further information, click on the categories below or read through our Frequently Asked Questions or click on the resources below.