Nutrition and Dietetics Technician, Registered
Registration Eligibility Requirements for Dietetic Technicians
Undergraduate students who complete the bachelor’s degree in Nutritional Science with concentration in Dietetics are eligible to take the Dietetic Technician, Registered exam once their degree is conferred.
Graduate students who complete all courses listed in the Declaration of Intent are eligible to take the Dietetic Technician, Registered exam.
For security reasons, all candidates must be processed through the Commission on Dietetic Registration's Registration Eligibility Processing System for eligibility to take the examination by their Didactic Program in Dietetics director.
All candidates must complete the following steps to apply for the examination:
- Complete the Declaration of Intent request [pdf].
- After your degree is conferred, contact the Didactic Program in Dietetics director to inform them that you would like to take the exam to become a Dietetic Technician, Registered. Undergraduate students must provide an official final transcript from San José State University stating that your degree was conferred.
- Request the Verification Statement.
- Review Dietetic Technician, Registered Exam Misuse Form.
- Review the DTR Exam preparation.
- After the DPD director has submitted your information to the Commission on Dietetic Registration, you will receive an email requesting that you complete your personal demographic information and a survey. In order to avoid delays in the processing of your application, complete these requirements as soon as possible.
- After your application has been approved by Commission on Dietetic Registration, your information will be sent to Pearson VUE. Within 48 hours of approval, Pearson VUE will send you an Authorization to Test email allowing you to schedule your exam.
For further assistance with the eligibility examination process, please go to the Commission on Dietetic Registration website.