Apply to the Spartan Accelerated Graduate Education (SAGE) Scholars Program in Nutritional Science
The Spartan Accelerated Graduate Education (SAGE) Scholars Program in Nutritional Science is a combined bachelor’s and master’s program. Students in this program pursue a bachelor’s and master’s degree simultaneously. This program allows students to earn graduate credit while in their junior and/or senior year, reducing the number of semesters required for completion of a master’s degree.
All students are required to fully fulfill the program requirements prior to admission to the program.
- Be enrolled in or have completed the undergraduate Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (100W (Z)/GWAR prior to admission into the SAGE Scholars program).
- Successfully completed a minimum of 60 Nutritional Science BS applicable units and not more than 120 undergraduate degree applicable units at the time of admission in the program.
- For students majoring in Nutritional Science:
Completed NUFS 106A and NUFS 100W with grades of “C” or better. For the students who are currently enrolled in NUFS 106A and/or 100W, their acceptance into SAGE will be dependent on their final grades in the classes.
For students majoring in Packaging:
Completed PKG 141A Packaging Materials I and NUFS 100W Writing Workshop with grades of “B” or better.
- Completed NUFS 106A and NUFS 100W with grades of “C” or better. For the students who are currently enrolled in NUFS 106A and/or 100W, their acceptance into SAGE will be dependent on their final grades in the classes.
- Minimum 3.0 SJSU Cumulative GPA at time of admission.
- Completed all lower-division work (designated 1-99, including lower-division general education courses and American Institutions courses).
The GRE is not required for the SAGE program.
Fall Semester Start
Opens on February 1 and closes on March 1.
Spring Semester Start
Opens on September 1 and closes on October 1.
Application, Evaluation, and Admission Process
Step 1 (Optional): Meet with Department Faculty to Discuss Research Interests
Although it is not mandatory, it is strongly advised that students meet with department faculty prior to applying to the SAGE program. This process will assist with completing the research interest and faculty matching form components of the application packet. To prepare for this discussion, it is recommended that students review department faculty research interests [pdf].
Step 2: Submit Application
Students are required to submit the following documents directly to Dr. Xi Feng, the
coordinator of the Department SAGE Program (email@example.com) before the deadline.
1. SAGE Program Worksheet
2. Unofficial SJSU Transcript
3. Faculty Matching Form [pdf]
4. SAGE Program Application Statement [pdf]
Step 3: Accept/Deny Program Invitation
If applying early fall, decisions will be emailed by late fall semester. If applying early spring, decisions will be emailed by late spring. Students will have two weeks to accept/deny SAGE program enrollment.
Step 4: Transition into SAGE Program
After students confirm their acceptance of the offer to join the SAGE program, the SAGE coordinator will submit the SAGE transition form with the student.
Step 5: Transition into Graduate Classified Standing and Advance to Candidacy
During the semester in which a student expects to complete at least 120-degree applicable units, the SAGE coordinator and student submit the SAGE transition form and attach the student’s SAGE Program Worksheet.