Change of Major
The process to change your major depends on how many earned units you have. Earned units means units you have completed at all colleges you have attended.
Below are the possible Change of Major objectives. Click the link that best represents your needs, or read the FAQs below.
- "I want to get into a major in the College of Engineering."
- "I want to transition out of the College of Engineering."
- "I am already in the College of Engineering, but I want to switch to a different major."
- When should I apply?
Do you have below 90 earned units? Apply online during the term in which your final prerequisites are in progress for completion.
For example, if you are currently taking your last prerequisites such as PHYS 50 and MATH 31, you are eligible to apply this term as long as it is either Fall or Spring semester. We don't accept applications during the Winter and Summer sessions.
If you have 90 or more earned units, you need to talk to a major advisor as soon as possible. They will determine your eligibility.
- How do I apply?
Short answer: It depends.
Long answer: See "Getting into the CoE" for specific requirements based on your number of earned units.
- How likely am I to get accepted?
Due to impaction, admittance is not guaranteed and will depend on the capacity of the major. Strive for the highest GPA possible in the prerequisite courses necessary to apply for the major. Also, students are allowed to apply twice for a major.
- Do I have to go to a workshop?
Unless you are undeclared or are currently in a major that requires advising every semester, attendance of a Change of Major workshop from the ESSC is mandatory.
Students have other options for Change of Major advising:
- What if I want to change out of the College of Engineering?
- See an advisor or attend a workshop in the major for which you want to apply. For example, if you want to change to Business, you will need to go to the success center for Business majors.
- Your major advising hold will be cleared if we see proof of attendance of a workshop or appointment in Spartan Connect. All centers are now using Spartan Connect to create advising reports, which we will look for to make sure you are getting the proper information.
- Complete your change-of-major with your new department.
- Which prerequisite courses do I need to be eligible to apply?
For students with 60 or below earned units at the time of applying to change their major can generally follow the plan below.
Students who wish to change their major to CompE or SE, please visit https://cmpe.sjsu.edu/Undergrad-CoM-FAQ
Otherwise, choose the link that best reflects you situation:
- Where is the online application to change my major in the College of Engineering?
Choose the scenario that best fits you:Change of Major Transition Plan. Depending on your advisor, you might be required to have an ESSC advisor sign this form in order to get an advising hold removed. Please attend a Change of Major Workshop or make an appointment with Monica Montelongo through Spartan Connect.
- I'm an incoming Frosh/Transfer student (upper division), and I want to change my major. Can I change my major before attending my first semester?
- I've read these web pages. How can I get more help?