Change of Major
To change your major, you must apply and be accepted in the department where the major resides (e.g. computer science is in the Computer Science department in the College of Sciences, not the College of Engineering where Software and Computer Engineering are).
The process to change your major depends on your objective and how many earned units you have. Earned units means units you have completed at all colleges you have attended. If your records are up to date, this can be found in your Transfer Credit Report.
Below are the possible Change of Major objectives.
- " My current major is Undeclared (or other major), and I want to get into a major in the College of Engineering."
- "I am currently in a major in the College of Engineering and I want to transition out to a different major at another College (i.e. Business)
- "I am already in the College of Engineering, but I want to switch to a different engineering major."
For students who want to major in Engineering
- I have below 60 earned units. When do I apply to change my major?
If you have below 60 earned units, apply online during the term in which your final prerequisites are in progress for completion.
For example, if you are currently taking your last prerequisites such as PHYS 50 and MATH 31, you are eligible to apply this term as long as it is either Fall or Spring semester. We don't accept applications during the Winter and Summer sessions.
If you have below 60 earned units, you may use the ESSC’s online application.
- I have 60 or more earned units. When and how do I apply?
- How likely am I to get accepted?
Due to impaction, admittance is not guaranteed and will depend on the capacity of the major. Strive for the highest GPA possible in the prerequisite courses necessary to apply for the major. Also, you are allowed to apply twice for a major.
Major Impaction GPA Ranges based on Fall 2021:
- AE 3.00 - 4.00
- Avia, ISE , Tech 2.00 - 3.00
- BME, ChE, MatE 2.00 - 3.00
- CE 2.00 - 3.00
- CmpE 3.60 - 4.00
- SE 3.60 - 4.20
- EE 2.20 - 3.00
- ME 3.20 - 3.80
- Do I have to go to a workshop?
No, attendance is optional, and is not a requirement to apply. You can also preview the Change of Major Workshop content.
PLEASE NOTE: Some students may be required to attend a change of major workshop and provide an academic plan as part of their mandatory advising requirements within their specific department.
There are other options for Change of Major advising:
- What if I want to change out of the College of Engineering?
- See an advisor or attend a workshop in the major for which you want to apply. For example, if you want to change to Business, you will need to go to the success center for Business majors.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for hold removal. We will clear your major advising hold if we see proof of attendance of a workshop or appointment in Spartan Connect. All centers are now using Spartan Connect to create advising reports, which we will review to make sure you are getting the proper information.
- Complete your change-of-major with your new department.
- Which prerequisite courses do I need to be eligible to apply?
Students with 60 or below earned units at the time of applying to change their major can generally follow the plan below.
If you wish to change your major to CompE or SE, please visit https://cmpe.sjsu.edu/Undergrad-CoM-FAQ
Otherwise, choose the link that best reflects your situation.
- Where is the online application to change my major in the College of Engineering?
The application process depends on the number of earned units you have (If you don't know how many earned units you have, check your transfer credit report).
Choose the link that best fits your situation.
According to my records, I have:
Students who need proof of their intent to change their major to the College of Engineering can use the ESSC Change of Major Transition Plan. Depending on your advisor, you might be required to have an ESSC advisor sign this form in order to get an advising hold removed. Please attend a Change of Major workshop or make an appointment with Monica Montelongo through Spartan Connect.
- I'm an incoming Frosh/Transfer student (upper division), and I want to change my major. Can I change my major before attending my first semester?
I need my Major advising hold removed, but I am changing my major. Who should I see
to remove my hold?
If you are transitioning out of Engineering, you need to get advising from the success center housed in the major you want. THEN, email email@example.com to let us know that you received help and are ready for your hold to be removed. We will check Spartan Connect to verify your meeting with an advisor and remove your Major Advising hold.
If you received any email correspondance with the advisor, please forward that as proof of advising.
If you are transitioning within Engineering, please meet with an ESSC advisor via
- I've read these web pages. How can I get more help?