Below 60 earned units
- Understand the rules for eligibility to apply by attending a change of major workshop or view the Transition Planning Document for informaiton about mandatory prerequisites. Note: if you are interested in COMPE or SE please visit the CMPE/SE department's FAQ page for more information
- Use our Change of Major online application during the open application window.
- Deadlines to apply
- May 1 - June 1 for admission to the following fall term. Students are notifed in late June if they are accepted.
- December 1 - January 1 for admission to the following spring term. Students are notifed in late January if they are accepted.
- Eligibility to apply
- Appy during the semester in which final prereuquisites are being completed.
- If prerequisites are being completed at another college, students must send transcripts to email@example.com to be posted on their academic records.
- For the purpose of this change of major process, send an additional copy of your unofficial transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadlines to apply
- Students who are accepted to the major will be notified through their SJSU email. They might NOT notify you if you have been denied. Make sure to follow up with the department.
- If admitted, respond within days of receiving your acceptance email, and the ESSC will work with registrar to officially change your major.
Planning your courses after submitting an application
Students waiting for acceptance notices will face a conundrum when they start planning for the next term. Until students' records are updated to the new major, they might not be able to register for major courses until the first week of courses OR will need to talk to the department for an add code.
Students will need to be flexible and understand that they might not have the most ideal schedule the first semester they are in the new major. This is especially true for students changing their major in the Spring as students are notified within two weeks of the start of the Spring term.
In the meantime use the following planning tools:
- The "what if scenario" of your MyPlanner,
- The flowchart of prerequiste courses for the major
- The degree requirements page for the major in the university catalog