Below 60 earned units

Application Process

  1. Understand the rules for eligibility to apply by attending a change of major workshop, viewing the Transition Planning Document [pdf] for information about mandatory prerequisites, or meeting with an advisor.
    Note: if you are interested in CMPE or SE, please visit the CMPE/SE departments' FAQ page for more information.
  2. Use our Change of Major online application during the open application window (reopens December 1, 2021 for Spring 2022 semester).
    • Deadlines to apply
      • December 1 - January 1 for admission to the following spring term.
        Students are notified in late January if they are accepted.
      • May 1 - June 1 for admission to the following fall term.
        Students are notified in late June if they are accepted.
    • Eligibility to apply
      • Apply during the semester in which final prerequisites are being completed.
      • If you are completing your prerequisites at another college, you must send transcripts to to be posted on your academic record.
      • For the purpose of this change of major process, send an additional copy of your unofficial transcripts to
  3. If you are accepted to the major you will be notified through your SJSU email. They might NOT notify you if you have been denied, so make sure to follow up with the department.
  4. If admitted, respond within days of receiving your acceptance email, and the ESSC will work with registrar to officially change your major.

Planning your courses after submitting an application

Students waiting for acceptance notices will face a conundrum when they start planning for the next term. Until a student's records are updated to the new major, they might not be able to register for major courses until the first week of courses OR will need to talk to the department for an add code.

Students will need to be flexible and understand that they might not have the most ideal schedule the first semester they are in the new major. This is especially true for students changing their major in the Spring as students are notified within two weeks of the start of the Spring term.

In the meantime use the following planning tools: 

Need to talk to an advisor?

Please attend our virtual drop-in advising hours to speak to an advisor or make an appointment with Monica Montelongo through Spartan Connect.