|IMPORTANT UPDATE: We changed our student SmartPass Program for the Spring semester due to COVID-19. If you are taking a regional route to SJSU that does not offer a free VTA transfer, visit our Spring Changes to the Student SmartPass Program page to see if you are eligible for the SmartPass.|
The following public transit agencies serving the regional area:
- BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) is a commuter rail system serving the South Bay, East Bay, San Francisco, north Peninsula, and SFO. As of June 6th, 2020, BART is now operating in Milpitas and San Jose
- Altamont Corridor Express (ACE) is a rail service from the Central Valley (Stockton, Lathrop/Manteca, Tracy) and the East Bay (Livermore, Pleasanton, Fremont) to San Jose Diridon Train Station.
- The Highway 17 Express Bus provides service between downtown Santa Cruz (Metro Center), Scotts Valley, and San Jose (Diridon Station).
- Caltrain is a regional rail line serving San Francisco, San Jose, Gilroy, and stations in between.
- Amtrak Capitol Corridor is an intercity train service operating between Auburn, Sacramento, Oakland, and San Jose Diridon Station.
To view COVID related changes for these transit lines visit our Public Transportation Agencies COVID Response page.
ACE: Half-priced tickets are available for ACE Rail 20-ride and monthly passes
Tickets must be purchased at the General Services Center during regular business hours.
Highway 17 Express: Enrolled students can obtain 20% off the regular price of 15 ride ($94.50) and 31 day passes ($145). This offer is only valid through the Spring term. Employees can still purchase discounted passes at $89.50 for the 15 ride and $134 for the 31 day passes. The increased 20% discount is only available to students. Tickets must be purchased from the AS General Services Center.
Non SJSU Offers
BART: Single ride discounts for eligible low-income San Francisco Bay Area residents through the pilot Clipper START program. Check your eligibility for the program on the Clipper START website.
Amtrak: Discounts on single and multi-ride trips are available for students through Amtrak's website.
- Single ride discounts for eligible low-income San Francisco Bay Area residents through the pilot Clipper START program. Check your eligibility for the program on the Clipper START website.
- Caltrain is now offering a 20% off Caltrain Monthly Pass Promotion. Benefits include: a 20% off monthly pass, unlimited trips between all zones on weekends and holidays, touchless payments, AND free or discounted transfers to VTA, SamTrans, SFMTA, and Dumbarton Express! This promotion is valid until June 2023!
Regional Transit Transfer on VTA to SJSU
Many regional transit lines that drop off at San Jose Diridon receive free transfers on VTA; visit VTA's website for more information.