Carpooling is an excellent way for you to save money and enjoy a more relaxing commute. By carpooling, you can take advantage of preferred parking spots on-campus!
Student carpool permits are valid on the upper floors of the 7th St. Garage, the 4th Street Garage, or in the 10th Street Garage 3rd floor and above. Students who carpool with a carpool permit may enter the 7th Street Garage when the garage is closed to single-occupant drivers.
Student carpool permits are transferable between the purchasers' vehicles. The cost for the student carpool permit is the same as a standard S permit.
Employee carpool permits are also available and are valid in conjunction with an SJSU Employee permit. Employee carpool spaces are conveniently located on the 1st floor of the 7th St. Garage and the 2nd floor of the 10th St. Garage.
Contact SJSU Parking Services for additional information on purchasing or exchanging the carpool permit.
Tips for Private Carpoolers
Found your own carpool or want to find them on your own? Here are some tips to help:
Key Questions for Potential Carpoolers
- How often will you carpool?
- Who has a vehicle? If all passengers have a car, who will do the driving?
- How will you share the commute costs?
- Check whether the driver has a valid license.
- Do all the drivers have full insurance coverage?
- Where will you meet? Carpoolers can pick each other up at home or meet at a mutually convenient location, such as a Park & Ride lot.
People's schedules are often more flexible than you think.
The general rule is that if commuters rotate the driving equally, money doesn't have to change hands, but if only one person drives, passengers generally chip in to cover the costs of gas and parking.