Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits for SJSU Employees
Administered by SJSU Parking Services, the pre-tax Commuter Benefits Program allows eligible SJSU employees to defer up to $280 (effective 2022) per month tax-free for the purchase of transit passes.
Once enrolled, deductions are taken from your pay before Federal, State, Social Security, and Medicare taxes are calculated. Your taxable income is reduced, thereby reducing the taxable income reflected on your annual W-2 statement.
Is it for you?
You should consider signing up for Commuter Benefits Program if you are a regular rider on:
- AC Transit (Alameda - Contra Costa counties)
- Altamont Corridor Express (ACE)
- Amtrak (Capitol Corridor)
- East Bay County Connection
- Highway 17 Express
- Livermore Amador Valley Transit Authority
- Monterey-Salinas Transit
- Union City Transit
- Other Bay Area bus and ferry systems
Do not sign up for this program if you ride exclusively on VTA using the AS-SJSU SmartPass Clipper card.
To learn more about how it works and how much you can save visit Edenred's website.
You are eligible to participate in the Commuter Benefits Program if you are:
- Executive, Management Personnel Plan (MPP), Confidential or other non-represented State employee position, faculty or staff or covered by a collective bargaining agreement that provides the benefit.
- Rehired annuitants and employees under the Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP) are NOT eligible to participate.
- You must be in a position that can participate in the Plan through payroll deduction.
The following employees are NOT eligible:
- Student Assistants
- Full-time and part-time employees of any SJSU auxiliary organization, which includes Associated Students, Student Union, SpartanEats, and SJSU Foundation. Auxiliary organizations have a separate payroll system from the rest of the University.
How does it work?
Each month, the SJSU Commuter Benefits Program will provide you with either transit passes from SJSU Parking Services or transit credit (loaded on a Commuter Check Debit MasterCard) redeemable for transit passes, tickets, and/or cash value at transit vending machines, transit agency offices, Clipper customer service centers (clippercard.com), and vanpool providers. The SJSU “Commuter Benefits Options” will determine whether you will receive transit passes or transit credit (loaded on a Commuter Check Debit MasterCard).
Using the Clipper Card
If you have a Commuter Check Prepaid MasterCard, you can use it to add value to your Clipper card online at clipper.com, at transit agency ticket offices and machines, at Clipper Add Value machines, Clipper Customer Service Centers or by phone. For more information visit Commuter Check/Clipper Card.
This pre-tax benefit is available only through payroll deduction for public transportation as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and available in the bay area.
Pre-tax commuter benefits are governed by Internal Revenue Service Code Section 132(f)(2)(A) which is subject to Congressional action and/or IRS cost-of-living adjustments.
Read the Commuter Benefits Program information and complete the application. Submit your application to SJSU Parking Services. The Parking Services department is located in the lobby of South Garage (7th & San Salvador streets).
The Commuter Benefits orders and payroll deductions are processed on a monthly basis. The amount that you signed up to receive in Commuter Benefits will be automatically deducted from your pay each month.
In order to change or cancel your Commuter Benefits plan, you must contact SJSU Parking Services located in the South Parking Garage lobby.