Lyft BikeShare for Housing Students
TS and Bay Wheels, Lyft’s Bikeshare Program is offering housing students 6 FREE Bay Wheels bike rides per month (up to 30 mins per ride)! Eligible students must pay the student Association Fee as part of their tuition.
This program will launch on September 1st 2023.
- 6 FREE pedal bike rides - allows for 30 minutes of ride time.
- Value of $3.49/ride
- $0.30 cents/minute charged to rider if trip is longer than 30 minutes
- Available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day
- Ride must start and end within San Jose
- Credits do not apply to e-bikes
Rides must start and end within San Jose to be eligible for the $3.49 discount. Check out the Bay Wheels System Map to find a station near you.
How to Sign-Up:
Check your preferred email inbox listed on your SJSU account for an invitation from Lyft Business and follow the steps to sign up. Once you click the link and join, the Lyft discount will be applied to eligible bike rides as long as the program is running.
If you did not receive an invitation, please email email@example.com. Don’t yet have a Lyft account? Download the app and create an account to get started.
This pilot is for SJSU housing students for now, but may be expanded in the future to more students. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions about future program plans.
Claim your Lyft Pass today!
Just scan the QR code, follow the prompts, and be on your way.
- Make sure you have the latest Lyft app and your account is set up.
- Open your phone's camera and line it up with the QR code.
- A notification to open the Lyft app will pop up. Tap it.
- Verify your email address, and you'll be all set.
Don't want to use the QR code? You can claim your pass by entering code
SJSUBAYWHEELS in the Lyft Pass section of the app's 'Payment' tab.
How to Ride Lyft’s Bay Wheels Bikes:
● FIND When you’re in the Bay Wheels service area, a Bicycle icon will appear at the bottom
of your Lyft app home screen.
● UNLOCK Tap ‘Unlock a bike’ in the Lyft app to purchase a $3.49 Single Ride, then scan the QR code on the bike. Your discount will automatically be applied (as long as there are still credits). As a reminder, SJSU credits will only apply to rides on a pedal bike, not e-bikes.
● RETURN Return your bike to any station and wait for the light to turn green on the dock so you know the bike is locked and the trip has ended.
● Learn more about taking your first ride.
Rules of the Road:
● Plan a sensible route. Use the mobile app to map out a route to your destination, and we’ll show you the
safest route using bike lanes whenever possible.
● Pre-ride check. Adjust the seat to fit your height, squeeze the brakes to make sure there’s resistance and check the tires to make sure they’re not flat. If there’s a problem with the bike, just lock it up and hit the red “wrench” button on the dock or report in the
app, then choose a different bike.
● Wear a helmet. Make sure yours fits snugly, wear it level on your head and always buckle the chin strap.
● Obey traffic signals. The same laws apply to bicycles as to motor vehicles in California, including obeying all traffic lights and signs.
● Never ride distracted. Don’t text and ride! Pull over if you have to send a message or talk on the phone. It is also illegal to ride with two headphones; while one headphone is permitted, it’s always safer to ride without any to remain alert.
● Tips and tricks about riding a bike in San Jose.
Additional Program Information
● If you request a ride that doesn’t meet the credit criteria (i.e.: e-bike trips),
you will not see the discount shown on your ride confirmation screen and you will
pay out of pocket.
● For more information about Bay Wheels, visit baywheels.com.
● Credits will reset at the start of each month but riders are encouraged to take more than 6 trips per month if you’re having fun! We’re using this pilot to understand the demand on campus for bikeshare. Let us know how it works for you.
● Students who have an active Bay Wheels annual membership already receive an unlimited number of trips on pedal bikes up to 30 minutes per trip.
This program will be available to the SJSU community as long as funding permits and
it is subject to change or termination. Participants will be notified about any changes
in the program should they arise.
Questions or Feedback? Please contact email@example.com.