The Smartpass request link for Fall is now open! Review our Smartpass overview page to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for your current status prior to completing the online request form. Note: Your Tower ID is required for pick up.
For information on the BayPass Pilot, visit our webpage.
What We Do
Transportation Solutions (TS) helps alleviate automobile traffic to SJSU and reduce the impact on the University’s parking facilities. TS is dedicated to serving the commute needs of students and employees at SJSU. Its region-wide operation emphasizes alternatives to driving to campus.
Our Getting Around SJSU brochure [pdf] has all the key information of programs we offer to support your transportation needs.
Check out Transit Map [pdf] featuring bus stops, light rail stations, BayWheels stations, bike and scooter parking, bike lanes, restaurants and more!
For our go-to information on TS events, sign up links, and other relevant info - visit our LinkTree!
Commuter Resource Guides
This guide we created offers the need to know information impacting your commute.
Additional Transit Resources
- SmartPass Program: Get unlimited rides on VTA buses and Light Rail with the SmartPass Clipper and your SJSU Tower Card.
- Bicycles: Learn more about bike use, storage, and safety on campus.
- Trip Plans: Find the best way to get to, from, and around campus with custom and pre-planned trips.
- Regional Transit: Find SJSU discounts on HWY 17 Express, Altamont Corridor Express, and Capitol Corridor.
- VTA Park and Ride Lots: Park free at any VTA lots and take light rail to SJSU using your SmartPass Clipper.
- Carpool: Share the costs of your commute. Carpool with a fellow Spartan - our resources make it easy!
Events & Updates
- Provide your feedback and input for the two long-range planning efforts that VTA is
currently working on that will shape transportation in Santa Clara County for years
to come. The Visionary Network will become a blueprint for future annual transit service plans, addressing the public’s
shifting post-pandemic needs and priorities. The Valley Transportation Plan 2050 will serve as a policy and planning framework for all modes of travel, including
highways, local roadways, transit operations, bicycles, and pedestrians.
Visionary Network Community Meeting #2
Monday, December 12, 2022
6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
RSVP on Eventbrite
Join the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition for a Beginner-Friendly Winter Mental Health Ride on Saturday, December 10th from 10am-1pm! Sign up here. Then join them for an open house at their location on 155 S 11th St from 1pm-4pm! Interested in volunteering? Sign up here!
HWY 17 Express Bus Winter Service Updates: Due to the ongoing shortage of bus operators, METRO is suspending certain routes and trips this winter. One such change will be a temporary suspension of service along Santa Clara in downtown San Jose to serve San Jose State University (SJSU), effective December 22, 2022 through March 15th, 2023. The Highway 17 Express bus will only operate as far as San Jose Diridon Station. Santa Cruz Metro will reevaluate resuming service in the Spring. For more information please visit our Highway 17 Express Bus webpage.
- The Lyft Pilot Programs (Lyft Evening Ride & Lyft Bay Wheels Credits for Housing Students) will be ending Fall service on December 14th, 2022.
Transportation Solutions operates under the auxiliary organization Associated Students (AS). TS receives funding from the following sources:
- Part of the campus miscellaneous fees for Associated Students
- Annual grant ($95K) from UPD Parking Services’ Alternative Transportation Funds
- Grant from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District Transportation Fund for Clean
Air (TFCA). TS has received $2.1 million in grant funds from TFCA since 2001.
Awards & Recognitions
- Bicycle Friendly University presented by the League of Bicycle Friendly America, September 2015
- The Clean Air Award presented by Breathe California, April 2009
- University of California, California State University and California Community Colleges Sustainable Transportation Award, June 2006
- The Bay Area’s Best Workplaces for Commuters Award, November 2002, June 2003, October 2005, June 2006, and January 2018
- Environmental Protection Agency Commuter Choice Leadership Initiative Award, February 2003
Diaz Compean Student Union, 1st Floor, Suite 1800
San Jose State University, One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0129
Telephone: (408) 924-7433
Fax: (408) 924-6220
Fall 2022 Hours
Follow us on Social Media