Current Students

Baseball cap with SJSU logo and colors.


Students must meet with their faculty music advisor preceding registration each semester to evaluate their progress toward graduation and to determine their academic schedule for the following semester.

Music Advisors

Program Advisor

Music Minor

Dr. Fred Cohen

Bachelor of Arts, Music

Dr. Craig McKenzie

Bachelor of Music, Composition

Dr. Catalina Barraza

Bachelor of Music, Jazz Studies

Dr. Catalina Barraza

Bachelor of Music, Performance

Dr. Catalina Barraza

Bachelor of Music, Music Education

Dr. Tiffany Barry

Master of Music

Dr. Gordon Haramaki

It is the student's responsibility to arrange an appointment with his or her music faculty advisor. Failure to do so before the registration period begins will result in delayed registration. Additional support is available at the College's Student Success Center. Note that the Degree Progress option on your MySJSU is not equivalent to meeting with your advisor.

In addition, all undergraduate music students must attend the School of Music & Dance advisement meeting held during the first week of each semester.

Music advising forms and plans are available on the Forms page, or check in the Music Administrative Office (Music Building, Room 179) or call (408) 924-4673.

Area Coordinators

All music majors fall within one of the following areas of study. For the name and office number of the faculty member currently coordinating each area, please click on the corresponding area in the table below, or contact the Music Administrative Office (Music Building, Room 179) or call (408) 924-4673.

You can also see a list on the Faculty and Staff by Area page.

Area Area Coordinator


Thomas Hornig

Choral Area

Dr. Jeffrey Benson


Dr. Pablo Furman


Dr. Gordon Haramaki

Jazz Studies

Dr. Aaron Lington

Music Education

Dr. Diana Hollinger

Music Theory

Dr. Pablo Furman


Divesh Karamchandani


Dr. Pablo Furman

Recording/Music Technology

Dr. Pablo Furman


Dr. Catalina Barraza


Jacque Wilson Scharlach

Jonathan Smucker


Dr. Michael Hernandez

Piano Proficiency

All music majors must be enrolled in Music 25A, 25B and 25C until they have passed their piano proficiency exam. Instructors will determine student placement in 25A, 25B or 25C. For those students with a piano background who feel that they are capable of passing the piano proficiency exam prior to enrolling in the class, the exam will be administered once each semester. If a student passes the piano proficiency exam, he or she does not need to enroll in 25A, 25B or 25C.

All lower-division majors are encouraged to pass the piano requirement before reaching upper-division status. Freshmen, in particular, should enroll immediately in 25A, as the skills acquired will help in Music Systems. Upper-division transfer music majors must enroll in class piano, contingent upon their level, until their proficiency requirement has been passed.

All students receiving applied lessons MUST pass the piano proficiency exam at the end of 3 semesters (25A, 25B, 25C) and before the second semester of their junior year (semester 6). You may elect to challenge 25C by taking the exam at the end of 25B. If you pass, you will receive credit for 25C, but not a grade. If you fail the exam, you will stay enrolled in 25C for the duration and receive a grade. If you fail the piano proficiency exam at the end of 25C, you will fail the course and will not be able to continue with applied lessons, thus putting your graduation in jeopardy.

Tutor/Music Lab Information

The School of Music and Dance offers tutoring for music theory (MUS 1A-4A) and ear-training (MUS 1B-4B), as well as Form and Analysis (MUS 103) and Counterpoint (MUS 104).


Students must present recitals as part of their music major—some degrees require both junior and senior recitals, some only the senior recital. Please follow the steps outlined on the Music Student Recital Packet [pdf] and the Recital Program Submission page order to properly schedule your concert and reserve performance space. Come to Music Administrative Office if you have any questions.

Music Minors

All music minors should:

  • Pick up the minor advisement form in the music office (Music Building, Room 179) or find it under the Forms page.
  • Make your selections within each required category by consulting the course descriptions in the official SJSU catalog.
  • Students with questions should consult with the Music Administrative Office (Music Building, Room 179) or emailing Director, Dr. Fred Cohen.