Enrollment Limit and Waitlist
See the following topics for details and updates:
- Variable Waitlist Unit Limit
- All Undergraduate students have an initial unit limit of 17 units.
- Graduating seniors who have a graduation application on file for Fall 2023, Spring 2024 or Summer 2024 with the Registrar’s Office by March 13, 2023, can register up to 19 units without a petition beginning Mon, June 26, 2023.
- Continuing students in good standing can register for up to 19 units without a petition beginning Mon., July 3, 2023.
- All Continuing Students in good standing may submit an Excess Unit petition to register up to 21 units on Thu, July 27, 2023. This will be available on the Registrar’s Forms' page.
- Graduate students have an enrollment limit of 16 units throughout the advance registration period. If you need more than 16 units, submit the Excess Units Petition, available at the Graduate Admission & Program Evaluation (GAPE) website
Enrollment Limit Chart for Undergraduate Students
|4/25/23-6/25/23||6/26/23-7/2/23||Starting 7/3/23||Starting 7/27/23|
|New admits and students on probation||17||17||17||17|
(in good standing)
(applied for graduation by 10/3/22)
*Requires the Excess Units Petition to raise the enrollment limit above 19 and up to 21 units. This petition will be available on the Registrar's Forms page beginning Thu, July 27, 2023.
How does waitlist work?
The waitlist provides students with a process to help them enroll in a class that is full when seats become available. The waitlist process runs nightly from April 25, 2023(first day of Advance Registration) through Aug. 28, 2023 (9 days after the start of the term).
See SJSU catalog for assistance with:
- Signing up for waitlist
- Issues that prevent you from being enrolled
- Billing information
Automated Waitlist Reprioritization
The waitlist will be adjusted to give priority to graduating seniors and graduate students starting April 25, 2023 through Aug. 28, 2023 (8 days after the start of the term). In order to move to the top of the waitlist, you must meet one of the following categories:
- Graduating seniors who have applied for Fall 2023, Spring 2024 or Summer 2024 graduation
- Graduate students with an approved candidacy form on file and a minimum of 21 units earned
Variable Waitlist Unit Limit
- During the first three weeks of the advance registration, students are limited to 5 waitlist units.
- Starting May 16, the Variable Waitlist Unit Limit will apply. The Variable Waitlist Unit Limit defines the available units a student can waitlist
at a given time. Here is the formula: Variable Waitlist Unit Limit = 17 minus Enrolled Units
- Variable Waitlist Unit will be activated once a student enrolls in at least one class (regardless of the amount of units)
- Waitlist units limit remains at 17 despite the raise of enrollment limits or approved of excess units petition.
- The system will refresh the student’s enrollment on a nightly basis. See table below for an example of the nightly changes on the variable waitlist:
|Available Waitlist Units||11||8||6||5*||5*|
*The available waitlist units will remain at 5 once your enrollment has reached 12 or more units.
- Waitlist is limited to 5 units for the entire advance registration period.