Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
FERPA is the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act, otherwise known as the Buckley Amendment of 1974. This act is enforced by the Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO) in the U.S. Department of Education in Washington, D.C.
It is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student records. San Jose State University does not release information from student records without a written consent from the student, except for student information that the university has deemed as directory information. SJSU Student Information Disclosure policy is more restricted than what FERPA provides as directory information. Requests for contact information are not honored, especially for marketing or membership solicitation purposes.
What is Directory information?
SJSU considers the following information to be Directory Information:
- Dates of enrollment
- Degree earned
Updating Your Preferences
To edit your FERPA/Directory restrictions, follow these steps:
- Log into MySJSU
- Click the Personal Information banner, then click User Preferences
- Click the Security tab, then click the green Edit FERPA/Directory button.
Note that restricting your directory information does not make you anonymous in courses.
Giving Access to a Designated Person
Students may grant a designated person (usually a parent/guardian) access to their protected academic records by completing the FERPA Authorization Release Request.
- The authorization remains in effect unless a request is made in writing to the Office of the Registrar to rescind access.
- Each office on campus has their own FERPA release form:
- Finance Information Release - Bursar's office
- Financial Aid Records Release - Financial Aid Forms' page
- Accessible Education Center: AEC Policy manual [pdf]
All colleges and universities are required to release information to military recruiters. The only way to prevent release is to restrict directory information from being released. Failure to comply with this amendment may result in the loss of federal funding, including various forms of federal student aid.
- FERPA Brochure (PDF) [pdf]
- ISA Classification Standards(PDF) 10/5/17 [pdf]
- GA_classification_standards(PDF) 10/5/17 [pdf]
- FERPA Bulletin (PDF) 09/01/16 [pdf]
- Institutional Policy on Access and Control of Information Contained in Student Records (Presidential Directive 2008-02) [pdf]
- Data Breaches - Contact Information Security Officer
Contact: email@example.com for FERPA inquiries