Residency is a combination of three factors: physical presence, intent to remain in California indefinitely, and a valid immigration status. Please review the following to determine if you are eligible to apply. Residency determination can take 2 to 4 weeks to complete.
- California State University(CSU) Residency page
- Rules and Regulations for Establishing Residency
- California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption (AB540)
- Ten things You Need to Know about California Residency for Tuition Purposes
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Applying for Residency:
|Term||Residence Determination Date||Application Deadline|
|Fall||September 20th||October 1st|
|Spring||January 25th||March 1st|
|Summer||June 1st||July 1st|
Follow the 3 steps below:
- Read instruction:
- First term student, not enrolled: read this instruction [pdf]
- Continuing students: read this instruction [pdf]
- Download, completely fill out, and sign the Residence Questionnaire [pdf].
- Upload the signed Residence Questionnaire and any supporting documents. We do not accept paper copies.
Appealing a Denied Request
If SJSU denied your request, you may file a residency appeal. Read this instructions [pdf].