Central Machine Shop
Central Shops is an extensively equipped metal and fabrication shop, located in Engineering rooms 184, 186, 188, and 190. It is equipped with a CNC mill and CNC lathe, along with a metal working section with a brake, sheer, punches and welder. There is also a wood and composite section of the shop with bead blaster, grinders, saws and a paint booth. Users also have access to 3D printers and a laser cutter. Central shops is for support with school and faculty projects, as well as onsite manufacturing equipment. We can help not only with manufacture but design and purchasing of necessary hardware, and or offsite manufacturing if necessary.
Services available to faculty and staff include equipment repair and maintenance, manufacture and fabrication of consumables for labs and research, special event support, engraving for signage and directories and door lock programming.
To start a service request, visit iSupport and select the appropriate “Service Request” and fill out all necessary information. The more information the better, also add all files pertaining to the job.
To request machining services, submit an iSupport request. You must attach complete and final mechanical drawings for each part, and
a solid model of each part requiring CNC machining. If you are a student, you must
also include your faculty advisor's approval for the work. Failure to include any
part of the submission will result in the job being returned. A brief design review
may be required to clear up any questions with your drawings. You are responsible
for regularly checking your email so that this meeting can be scheduled promptly.
Please contact Neil Peters with any questions on the machining queue and where your
project is in the queue. There may be a cost associated with your project depending
on tooling and material costs.
Visit MakerSpace facility webpage for equipment, workshops, and hours.
Neil Peters, Building and Safety Specialist, Central Shops Supervisor
Hours: 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Kyle Meininger, Manufacturing Lead in Central Shops
Hours: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Jonathan Rye, Technician, Central Shops
Hours: 9:00AM - 6:00PM
Courtyard gate hours are M-F 7:00am - 10:00pm; Closed Weekends
- Parking permits are strictly enforced. Vehicles without permit will be ticketed and/or towed
- Courtyard is not considered a parking lot. Large trucks enter each day and need space to turn around.
- Parking permits issued by Central Shops or the Dean's office are required for all vehicles
- You may leave your car in the courtyard up to 15-30 minutes to load and unload
- For parking permits please contact Central Shops via iSupport
- Dumpster is designated for garbage and cardboard recycling.
- This dumpster is not designated for any motor oil waste, chemical waste or e-waste.
- Do NOT leave items around the dumpster. Contact central shops via iSupport for assistance discarding large items
- Furniture removal and e-waste requests must be submitted via iSupport
- Painting is NOT allowed in the courtyard.
- There is a paint booth in the central shops E184 that can be used for painting. Contact central shops via iSupport
- The campus recognizes a No Smoking Policy.
- Smoking and vaping is not allowed anywhere on campus, this includes the Courtyard.
- All smoking and vaping must be off campus.