Global Technology Institute Program - Finland 2024
Description of Program
In 2004, the SJSU Charles W. Davidson College of Engineering established a $1 million Global Technology Initiative, with the mission of giving SJSU students a global perspective on technology and business developments. Its goal is to expand students’ horizons about the opportunities and challenges of a global economy, to expose them to global environmental and energy problems in which technology plays a central role, and to motivate their learning of global issues and different cultures.
An exciting part of the program is that it’s continually evolving. In Summer 2024, GTI will be going to Jyväskylä, Finland for the second time. The JAMK Summer program includes lectures, workshops, get-togethers and interesting site visits around Finland. Each year, JAMK Summer School gathers approximately 200 students and lecturers from around the globe, including Argentina, Mexico, Canada, Singapore, the USA, and Europe. The JAMK program goes from 5/31/24 to 6/20/24, with additional days at the beginning of the trip for a tour of Helsinki. SJSU will pay a majority of the trip cost.
Students will choose 3-4 short courses to take. Those include Advanced Engineering Technologies and Robotics (required) plus a choice of two to three others that may include Dynamic Creativity Management; Global Team Leadership; European Corporate Finance; Ethics and Law for International Managers; Psychology for Business Leadership; International Business Speaking; Service Design; Game Art & Design; and Responsible Tourism. Find out more at the website for the JAMK program.
Social Events at JAMK currently planned for Summer 2024
- Two-day tour of Helsinki
- Jyväskylä Sightseeing tour
- Day trip to Porvoo, Finland
- Weekend trip to Turku, the historic former capital of Finland
Application Procedure for All Students
Approximately 10-15 participants will be selected through the following application process.
- To apply, the following items must be completed and submitted by Friday, November
10, 2023 at 5 PM:
- Completed Application. You must use your SJSU email in your application.
- Submission of transcript(s) for all college coursework (including at SJSU). Note: transcript(s) must include grades earned in Spring 2023 and Summer 2023. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. The transcripts should be uploaded along with your application.
Attend an interview, if invited
After the review of applications, a pool of Semifinalists will be notified and invited to an interview for the final selection. The interviews will be conducted November 22-30, 2023.
Final selection will be made on or before December 6, 2023.
Participant Selection Criteria
Applicants will be selected based on how they and the College of Engineering can benefit from their participation in this program, and how they can help achieve the mission of GTI. Participant selection will be a complex process; selection criteria includes, but are not limited to:
- Grade-point average (GPA)
- Service to SJSU student organizations or non-SJSU community organizations, highlighting past and current leadership positions
- Communication and interpersonal skills, including those demonstrated during the semifinalist interview
- Potential for significant learning about globalization and entrepreneurship
- Student cannot be on probation or on disciplinary status
Minimum Eligibility Requirements to Apply
- The applicant must be a matriculated undergraduate student at SJSU in the College of Engineering. Students must have junior or senior standing (at least 60 earned semester credits at time of application)
- Graduate students, transitory students, open-university students and alumni are not eligible.
- Graduation date must not be earlier than December 2024.
- Students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA, both at SJSU and overall.
Requirements for Travel
The summer program is held 5/30/24 – 6/20/24. Actual travel dates may shift depending on airfare, availability of plane tickets, and other factors.
The College of Engineering will pay for airfare, hotel in Helsinki, hostel in Jyväskylä, transportation from Helsinki to Jyväskylä, and SJSU’s $300 Study Abroad fee. Students must pay for lunch ( approximately 4 Euros/day for lunch at campus) and dinner, insurance (about $75) and train fare from Jyväskylä back to Helsinki (about $50) as well as SJSU’s summer tuition ($1050). SJSU’s tuition covers JAMK’s registration fee. Students are also responsible for any optional trips that they choose. Optional trips include a day trip to Tallinn, Estonia via ferry and a weekend trip to Stockholm, Sweden via plane. Students will be able to sign up for those trips at a later date, when costs have been finalized.
Students who drop out after 4/1/24 are responsible for any nonrefundable fees that the university incurs unless there is an unavoidable emergency, such as a serious health issue. More details will be provided after the GTI students are chosen.
Spring Term Course Requirement
Selected participants will be required to register for a one-unit course – Engr 180 in Spring 2024. The class will meet online 8:00 am to 8:50 am on Fridays with most sessions remote and a few in person.
- Selected participants are required to attend all Engr 180 classes, as well as the activities scheduled for pre-trip and post-trip to Finland. Other mandatory debriefing activities and tasks will be specified and scheduled in due course.
- Anyone missing any two scheduled meetings will be dropped from the Finland portion of the GTI program.
Required Travel Documents
Participants will be required to secure their own passports immediately after notification of their selection. Obtaining a passport takes approximately 7-10 weeks once submitted. Failure to obtain the necessary passport by April 1, 2024 will result in disqualification for the trip.
Participants are required to have insurance. Our Study Abroad office provides insurance covering medical, property, and repatriation which will cost about $75. More information will be provided to GTI students after the finalists are chosen.
University Liability Waiver
The applicant must agree to sign a waiver form releasing San Jose State University and California State University from all possible liability claims.
Required Student Code of Conduct
- Participants will be expected to behave as representatives of the SJSU and the U.S.
- Participants are required to meet all deadlines set by the GTI Director. Failure to submit paperwork in a timely manner might result in your disqualification from the GTI study tour.
- Proper student conduct applicable to on-campus activities are applicable and observed throughout the GTI program. Violators will be disciplined upon return to campus. See "S16-15, University Policy, Student Rights and Responsibilities" for details about acceptable SJSU student conduct.
- SJSU Students are subject to the rules of the Student Conduct Code. SJSU Student Conduct Code applies to all students whether on the SJSU campus or in the greater community. If your behavior on the trip violates the Student Conduct Code, you might be subject to disciplinary action.
- All participants will be required to observe local laws and customs.
- Violators will be disciplined upon return to campus.
- No relatives or friends may accompany the participants during any portion of the trip.
- All participants will begin the trip at the designated location in the U.S. as a group. They will stay with the group throughout the trip, except that they may leave the group at the conclusion of all site visits of the study tour.
Food and lodging during travel
Lodging in Jyväskylä will likely be at the GreenStar Hotel, 2-3 students per room. For each room, there are three available living spaces and a private bathroom. An excellent breakfast buffet, Internet access, bed linen, towels and housekeeping is included. Additional amenities include laundry and a shared kitchenette with dedicated refrigeration space per room.
Application Deadline: Friday, November 10, 2023, 5:00 pm
Semi-Finalist Notified: November 20, 2023
Interviews: November 22-30, 2023
GTI students Notified: On or before December 6, 2023
First day of Spring 2021 course: Friday, January 26, 2023
For any questions contact: Dr. Lili He, Director, GTI Program, Email: Lili.He@sjsu.edu, Phone: 408-924-4073