What Can I Change During Open Enrollment?
During the OE period, you have the opportunity to:
- Enroll in health/dental/vision/flexcash (if benefits eligible)
- Change insurance plans
- Add/delete eligible dependents
- Enroll/Re-enroll in Flexible Spending Accounts - Health Care Reimbursement Account(HCRA) and/or Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA)
- Enroll/cancel voluntary benefit plans
- MetLaw – Legal Plan enroll or cancel
Enrollments in or changes to standard benefits can be made in SJSU @ Work. However, to enroll in or change voluntary benefit plans, you must contact the vendor directly.
Standard Benefit Plan Information and Changes
- Delta Dental
San José State continues to offer both a DHMO and PPO dental plan. Please refer to the Evidence of Coverage (EOC) booklets for a complete explanation of the benefits covered within each dental plan, as well as limitations and exclusions that apply. These documents, along with additional information on the dental plans, can be reviewed online through the Delta Dental website. Premiums for dental plans will continue to be fully paid by the CSU, with no cost to the employee.
- Delta Dental PPO Plan Enhancements
- Diagnostic and Preventative: When you visit a PPO dentist, your diagnostic and preventative services (like cleanings and exams) will not count against your annual maximum. This benefit does not apply if you visit a Delta Dental Premier or non-Delta Dental dentist.
- The SmileWay Wellness benefit is an enhanced coverage for higher risk employees. Employees with certain qualifying diagnosed medical conditions (diabetes, heart disease, HIV/AIDS, rheumatoid arthritis or stroke) are offered expanded coverage which includes one periodontal scaling and root planning procedure per quadrant per calendar year covered at 100%. Also included is four (4) of any combination of yearly cleanings or periodontal maintenance. In order to use this great enhancement, you will need to opt in by visiting Delta Dental CSU Benefits and log in to your Online Services account. If you do not have an account you can click Register. Once you've accessed your account, click on the Optional Benefits tab in the left column, then click Opt In next to the name of the person you want to enroll, complete and submit the online form. You may also Opt In by phone at (800) 626-3108 to speak to a Customer Service representative Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 8:00pm, Pacific Standard Time.
- Delta Dental’s New Features
- Amplifon Hearing Health Care: Discounts for Delta Dental Enrollees on top hearing aid brands with a 62% average savings off retail hearing aid pricing with a choice of leading hearing aid brands and thousands of hearing care providers.
- QualSight: Preferred pricing on LASIK eye surgery with a 40-50% discount off the national average price of Traditional LASIK at over 1000 LASIK locations with credentialed surgeons that have collectively performed 6.5 million procedures.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health/Dependent Care Reimbursement)
- Annual Re-Enrollment Required: HCRA and DCRA deductions do not automatically continue into the next plan year. If you want deductions to continue for the next year, you must re-enroll during Open Enrollment.
- Maximum Contribution for Health Care Reimbursement: The 2023 annual maximum contribution for the Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) will be $2,850 a year ($237.50 per month). The HCRA plan offers participants the ability to pay for eligible out-of-pocket medical expenses with pre-tax dollars. ASI Flex will automatically issue a set of two ASIFlex Cards for all first time Health Care Reimbursement Account participants newly enrolling effective for plan year 2023, without the hassle of completing a debit card request form. The ASIFlex Card can be used to pay for qualifying expenses. Employees who currently have a valid ASIFlex Card may continue to use their current card until it expires. For more information about the ASIFlex Card, see the ASIFlex Card FAQs [pdf] and the ASIFlex Quick Guide [pdf] [requires CSU login]. For more information please review the HCRA Brochure [pdf].
- Maximum Contribution for Dependent Care Reimbursement: The 2023 annual maximum contribution for the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account is $5,000. This plan allows eligible employees the ability to pay for qualifying out-of-pocket dependent care expense with pre-tax dollars. Employees may elect a monthly deduction amount of as little as $20 per month up to a maximum of $416.66 per month. For more information, please review the DCRA brochure [pdf].
- ASIFlex Card FAQs [pdf]
- ASIFlex Quick Guide [pdf] (requires SJSUOne/CSU login)
- Vision Services Plan (VSP) Premium Coverage
You may purchase Vision Service Plan (VSP) Premium coverage as an enhancement to the basic coverage. The VSP Premier plan offers a higher level of benefits for lenses, contact and frames. See VSP Member Plan Summary [pdf] to compare.
Premiums for the VSP Basic Plan will continue to be fully paid by CSU for employees and their dependents.
To enroll visit VSP For Me or call (800) 400-4569 during Open Enrollment. You will continue to be automatically enrolled in employer paid VSP Basic Plan. However, if you enroll in the VSP Premier plan, all benefits eligible dependents must also be enrolled or they will be removed from the basic plan.
Voluntary Benefit Plan Information and Changes
Information regarding voluntary benefit plans and how to enroll can be found below and at CSYou Voluntary Insurance and Benefit Programs. Employees have the option to enroll in several types of voluntary insurance and benefit plans. These plans are entirely employee paid:
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Offered by The Standard, this coverage pays a benefit to the employee or his/her selected beneficiary in the event of death due to an accident or dismemberment at a benefit level selected by the employee.
- Offered to all regular benefits eligible CSU employees. Coverage for eligible dependents available at an additional cost.
- Eligible employees can enroll at any time during the year and will not be subject to Evidence of Insurability.
- To apply, make changes, or review benefits visit The Standard Login page.
- Auto and Home Insurance
- Auto and Home insurance is offered to all CSU employees, excluding Rehired Annuitants and Students, at a discounted rate through California Casualty. Coverage for eligible dependents available at an additional cost.
- Participants in the plan are provided with a free identity theft benefit known as ID Defense.
- All policies are written for a 12-month period.
- Nationwide Pet Insurance
Pet health insurance gives you the freedom to use any vet, anywhere, including specialist and emergency providers. Nationwide offers two benefit option for your pets. This insurance can cover your pet's accidents, illness and even preventative care and wellness services. Plans are available for dogs, cats, birds, small mammals and exotics (such as reptiles).
- Voluntary Long-Term Disability (LTD)
- The Voluntary Long-Term Disability plan offered by The Standard provides loss of income protection (up to 60%) due to a qualified disability.
- All benefits eligible employees who are not eligible for the CSU-paid LTD plan may apply.
- Two plans are offered, one with a 30-day and one with a 90-day waiting period.
To apply, make changes, or review benefits visit The Standard Login page.For more information visit The Standard for the CSU or contact The Standard customer service at 1-800-378-5745.
- MetLaw® Legal Plan
- The MetLaw® plan offered by MetLife covers representation for many personal legal services for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Offered to CSU employees, excluding Rehired Annuitants, Special Consultants, Hourly Intermittent employees and Students. Eligible dependents are covered at no additional cost.
- Members are required to remain in the plan for a full benefit plan year.
- Covered legal services performed by a Network attorney are fully paid for by the plan. Out-of-Network attorney fees for covered services are reimbursed based on a set fee schedule.
- Group Critical Illness
Group Critical Illness Insurance provides a lump-sum payment to cover out-of-pocket medical expenses and costs associated with life changes following the diagnosis of a covered critical illness. In addition, there are cash benefits for specified health screenings. You and/or your spouse/registered domestic partner must be between the ages of 18-64 and enrolled in a health insurance plan to participate in this plan.
- Accident Insurance
Accidents can happen when least, expected and while they cannot always be prevented, you can have the financial support to make your recovery less expensive and stressful. Accident Insurance can help with out-of-pocket expenses such as deductibles, copays, transportation to medical centers, and more.