Student Assistants


For a complete list of required forms, see New Employees.

New Hire Paperwork

Newly hired students must obtain an Employment Verification Card (EVC) before they start working. In order to get an EVC, the student must complete the new hire paperwork and Form I-9.

  • New Hire Paperwork: Students must complete all forms within the New Hire Packet for Student Assistant. Students are encouraged to enroll in Direct Deposit and may complete the form as part of their new hire paperwork. If the form is not completed before arrival, employees should ensure they have account and routing numbers to enroll at a later date.
  • Form I-9: The Form I-9 is a federal form that requires employees to show proof of employment eligibility and identification at the time of hire. SJSU utilizes the program Tracker I-9 to assist with completing the Form I-9. Students will receive an email from Tracker I-9 to complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 on or before their first day of work. This process also requires the student to show original documents that show proof of identity and eligibility to work in the University States. Original documents must be presented within 3 business days of the start date. Please refer to the List of Acceptable Documents [pdf] for examples.

For tax filing purposes, aliens authorized to work in the United States (Non-Resident Alien) must present their Passport, Visa, or I-94. Presenting their Social Security Card is optional.

Additional Resources