U.S. Postal Service
- US Postal Service (USPS) Priority, First Class, Standard and Third Class letters and parcels are delivered to the University between 7:00am and 8:00am. Priority Mail Express items are delivered between 7:00am and 3:00pm.
- All USPS items are sorted by extended zip code and delivered to the campus community throughout the day. Some items (Certified Mail, Priority Mail Express, etc.) require a signature at the time of delivery.
- Outbound USPS shipments are picked up from the departments when mail and packages are delivered in the morning. If a pickup is needed after 12:00pm for urgent items, please request one by calling the Workflow Coordinator at 4-1593.
- US Postal Service letters and parcels are picked up from the University Monday through Friday between 3:30pm and 4:00pm. All outbound items need to be at Distribution Services by 2:30pm to guarantee same day processing.
- Find zip codes on the USPS Look Up a Zip Code web page.
- For simple cost savings, fold multi-page materials and put them into an envelope that meets the USPS standards for a letter. Large envelopes (aka flats) are charged at higher postage rates than letters.
- By US Postal Service standards:
- A letter is rectangular, between 3-1/2” and 6-1/8” high, between 5” and 11-1/2” long and between 7/1000” (.007”) and 1/4” thick.
- A flat (aka large envelope) exceeds any one of the letter measurements above, but does not exceed 12” high, 15” long or ¾” thick.
- Do not use red or dark colored envelopes for outgoing mail. The meter ink is red and will not be visible.
- The return address on all outbound USPS Mail must include the department name or extended zip code.
Use Certified Mail to prove that you mailed an item; and, use Return Receipt to prove that the recipient received it. With a Return Receipt, the US Postal Service will capture a signature at the time of delivery that will be returned to the University electronically or via hard copy.
In addition to the postage charges, the cost for each service is:
- $2.85 for hard copy receipt
- $1.70 for email receipt
- Departments are responsible for preparing, addressing, completing and attaching required postal forms.
- When mailing more than 200 letters or 500 flats that have identical contents and envelopes, use the University’s Non-Profit or First Class indicia to qualify for the reduced postage rate. Please call 4-1593 for the permit imprint indicia number.
- When ordering newspaper, magazine or or other subscriptions, include your department name and extended zip code in the address.
- The University holds a Business Reply Mail (BRM) permit. Using this service enables a department to encourage customers to respond to surveys, payment requests or RSVPs by providing a pre-paid envelope or postcard so that they don’t have to pay for postage. The department only pays for the returned items. Please call the Workflow Coordinator at 4-1593 to engage with our Mail Design experts.
- Please seal envelopes before placing in the outbound staging area. If unable to seal,
similar envelopes should be interleaved as shown in the images below: