Life and Disability Insurance
The GoCard Program provides the following coverage:
- Car Rentals - When using the GoCard for car rentals, liability insurance is covered in the amount of $500,000 per traveler.
- Life Insurance - When using a GoCard for expenses related to official university travel, life insurance is covered in the amount of $500,000 per traveler.
- Lost Luggage - When using the GoCard for flights related to official university travel, lost luggage may be reimbursed.
International Travel Insurance
Travel insurance is required for all faculty, staff, and students traveling outside the United States on university business.
- Risk Management is required to obtain travel insurance on your behalf once your international Travel Authorization is submitted and approved in FTS.
- Foreign Travel Insurance provides accident & sickness (medical) coverage, general liability, excess auto liability, foreign workers’ compensation, and executive assistance (including legal assistance, embassy/consular contacts, and assistance in replacing lost documents).
Insurance premiums will be recharged to the traveler's department. Rates are subject to change:
- For trips up to 15 days duration, the premium is $60.
- For trips up to 30 days duration, the premium is $75.
- Trips of more than 30 days in duration require insurance underwriter approval.
- Additional premium will be charged for travel to high hazard/war risk countries.
International Travel Requirements
International travelers must complete the following steps before departing on their international trip:
- Familiar themselves with the SJSU Travel Guide [pdf].
- Check to see if their destination country is on either the State Department Hazardous Country List or the CSU High Hazardous Country List [pdf].
- Travelers should print out and carry the Travel Assist Card [pdf] at all times when traveling internationally.
- Sign up for the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This is a system utilized by the State Department to connect with the traveler, providing information should conditions change in the foreign location and assist the traveler in an emergency.
High Hazard Travel Requirements
For trips to high hazard countries, travelers must:
- Complete and attach CSU's High Hazard Foreign Travel Approval Request form to the CSU, and upload a copy to the Travel Authorization in FTS.
- Submit their travel authorization in a timely manner to ensure it arrives in the President’s
office no less than six weeks prior to the departure date to obtain the mandatory
President’s and Chancellor’s Office approval.
- Foreign Travel Insurance Program Policy [pdf].
- CSU Policy 6946590 High Hazard International Travel Approval Process and Requirement to Purchase Insurance.
- Additional information on International Travel and Requirements to Purchase Insurance can be found on the Technical Letter RM 2013-01 [pdf].