Employee and Student Reimbursements
The Employee/Student Reimbursement process is intended as a way to reimburse SJSU employees and students under specific circumstances.
Before using the reimbursement method:
- Check with your department admin to determine if reimbursement is the proper way to pay for your product. Departments can assist you with other procurement methods so that you don't have to pay out of pocket.
- Sign up for Employee Reimbursement Direct Deposit [DocuSign] to receive your reimbursements more quickly.
Submitting a Reimbursement
- What is my department responsible for?
- Ensure the item(s) being paid are allowable expenses. Refer to the Procure to Pay Guidelines.
- Gather required back up documentation such as:
- Itemized receipts
- Generic Invoice [pdf] (Required when supporting documents alone do not provide adequate information to process the request)
- Additional Justifications (such as a memo of how purchase serves a business purpose or a Hospitality Expense Justification [pdf] form)
- Does employee/student exist in FTS? If they do not, please see Additional Information.
- What items can be reimbursed?
Employee/Student reimbursements will be made only under the following circumstances:
Citation refund/Parking refund
Parking Services has the authority to submit these types of refunds.
Payroll special check
University Personnel has the authority to submit these types of refund requests.
Personal reimbursements up to $1,000
Allowable expenses include:
- Amazon Business purchases in CSUBUY (must follow Procure to Pay Guidelines)
- Books & Preprinted Materials
- Bookstore purchases
- Cell phone & accessories (with VP approval)
- Computer accessories - See Staples Advantage in CSUBUY.
- Candidate meals (accompanied by a Hospitality Expense Justification [pdf] form)
- Membership fees
- Office Supplies - See Staples Advantage in CSUBUY.
Petty cash department fund reimbursement
e.g., deposit for art gallery, locker, and laboratory equipment
Student deposit refund
University Police Department has the authority to submit these types of refund requests.
- What items cannot be reimbursed?
Some items and services require additional approvals or reporting, and therefore cannot be paid for out of pocket. Examples include:
- All Services (including online services)
- Anything that requires a requisition, contract, or agreement
- Anything that requires CP&S, FD&O, or IT approval
- Computer purchases (e.g., tablets, watches, laptops)
- Contracted Agreements (signing for an agreement requires a Delegation of Authority for the Approval of Financial Expenditures)
- Customized and Printed products
- Household appliances
- Registration - Online/Virtual (See Travel)
- Printing Services
- Products for personal use
- Software (license based or online)
- Unapproved caterers
- How do I submit a reimbursement request?
- When will I receive my reimbursement?
Once all required documentation is received and the request is processed, payment is usually received as follows:
- Additional information
- Receipt or Other Proof of Payment (Required). If scanning paperwork, do not tape over information on the receipt.
- Generic Invoice [pdf] (Required only if supporting documents alone do not provide adequate information to process the request)
- Additional Justification (such as a memo of how purchase serves a business purpose or a Hospitality Expense Justification [pdf] form)
- Certification of Receipt of Goods [pdf] for receipts that are lost.
The person does not exist in FTS
Provide the following criteria to the Supplier Maintenance Coordinator prior to entering the reimbursement request.
- Full Name
- Tower ID#
- Mailing Address
- Purpose of Reimbursement (i.e., purchase of supplies, refund)
- Reimbursement amount
For Students and Intermittent Employees
An email confirmation will be sent within 5 business days to the department requester when the student/intermittent employee is available in FTS.
If the address listed in FTS is not correct