Campuses must comply with State/Federal laws and CSU policies regarding the proper classification of employees and independent contractors. Misclassification of a worker as an independent contractor can result in considerable wage and benefit obligations, financial penalties, tax consequences, and other liabilities.
For more information, refer to the CSU Independent Contractors Guidelines [pdf].
When departments are considering using a current vendor in our system or onboarding a new independant contractor, we ask that you:
1. Complete the following documents:
- ABC Test provided by the State of California.
- Independent Contractor vs Employee Worksheet [pdf].
- Description of Duties or Scope of Work [pdf].
2. Submit these documents to University Personnel for review and authorization
- For staff positions, contact the Manager of Recruitment and Retention.
- For faculty positions, contact the Senior Director of Faculty Services.
Verified as Independent Contractor
Verified as a SJSU or CSU Employee
If the department determines the supplier qualifies as an SJSU or CSU employee, then they must proceed with a different payment option:
- For SJSU employees, contact your Payroll Representative for guidance.
- For CSU employees, submit a IFT through Accounting Services.