The purpose of the ProCard is to provide an easy and expeditious method for campus departments to make low dollar purchases and CSUBUY supply orders. They will be issued only to staff responsible for supporting their department. Cardholders and their Approving Officials have been granted limited authorization to purchase on behalf of San José State University.
For more information please refer to the ProCard Manual [pdf].
- Keep the card and card number secure.
- Comply with university ProCard program policy and procedures.
- Reconcile monthly statements, matching receipts and providing appropriate supporting documentation.
- Send completed reconciliation and backup to the Approving Official via DocuSign for approval.
- Submit approved statements via FTS to Payment Services by the 7th of the month.
- Immediately report lost/stolen cards and questionable/fraudulent charges to the credit card company, ProCard Program Coordinator and Approving Official.
- Return the card to the ProCard Program Coordinator before leaving the university or when there is no longer a need for the card.
- Submit the ProCard/GoCard Update Request [DocuSign] form if an Approving Official change is made.
- Agree to the consequences of violating the ProCard program policy and procedures.
- Review charges for appropriateness of expenses(s).
- Be familiar with SJSU procurement policies.
- Know which items are on the Procure to Pay Guidelines.
- Know the policy/ramification for late submission of statements.
- Notify ProCard Program Coordinator whenever a Cardholder leaves the university.
- Submit signed ProCard statement and receipts by the 7th of each month.
- Agree to uphold the expectations of the ProCard program policy and procedures.
- Apply for a ProCard
- Cardholders are to complete the Introduction to Finance (FIN009) prior to applying for a ProCard.
- Complete the ProCard/GoCard Application Form [DocuSign].
- Update ProCard Information
- Complete the ProCard/GoCard Update Form [DocuSign] form to update Approving Official, default chartfields, increase/decrease card limit or inactivate/activate an account.
- Cardholders are required to complete the Introduction to Finance (FIN009) training prior to applying for a ProCard. Enroll in a training session.
- After completing the FIN009 class, complete the Request for Finance Systems Access [DocuSign] to request access to the Finance systems used for ProCard reconciliation.
- A ProCard Overview will be scheduled by the ProCard Coordinator once the card arrives. Cardholders receive their ProCard at the end of the meeting.
- The GoCard/ProCard Reconciliation Workshop is recommended to attend prior to the cardholder’s first reconciliation. Sessions are held once a month.
- What Can be Purchased
- Items through CSUBUY that do not require special approval.
- Items from the Spartan Bookstore.
- Memberships (professional or organizational).
- Miscellaneous hardware supplies.
- Miscellaneous classroom or lab supplies.
- Office supplies from strategic partner Staples Advantage.
- Shredding services from strategic partner Iron Mountain.
- SJSU logo business stationery and business cards from strategic partner Medius Corp.
- Using the ProCard
- Make purchases via telephone, internet, or mail.
- Instruct the merchant to ship the goods to the following address:
Attn: Cardholder’s Name & Department
129 South 10th Street
San Jose, CA 95112-xxxx (ordering department’s extended zip)
- An itemized receipt is required for each transaction. Itemized is defined as a description of the goods secured, the quantity, the amount, tax and shipping charges (if applicable) and total.
- When reconciling in CFS, enter a description for each transaction in the comment field.
- The ProCard billing cycle is generally from the 23rd to the 22nd of the following month, depending on calendar work days.
- Your completed and approved statement is due by the 7th of the month for the previous billing cycle.
- Note: Auxiliary organization funds are not an allowable funding source, unless a purchase is split funded with a Tower Foundation fund.
- Ordering through CSUBuy
- CSUBuy is a "one-stop" shopping portal managed by the Chancellor's Office to bring supplier catalogs with educational contract prices. CSUBUY suppliers include Staples Advantage, our preferred vendor for office supplies, and Amazon Business. You must use your ProCard for payment and checkout.
- Reconciliation and Submission
To Complete the CFS Reconciliation
- Access the CSU ProCard module in CFS.
- Search for the ProCard statement by cardholder name.
- Update chartfields as needed.
- Enter purchase descriptions in the comment fields.
- Save the statement and click the print icon.
- Click process monitor and download the statement.
For detailed instructions, see ProCard/GoCard Reconciliation tutorial.
Statement Signatures in Docusign
- Complete the GoCard/ProCard Statement template and upload your updated statement.
- Add both cardholder and approving official signatures and dates to the statement.
- Download a signed copy of the statement from DocuSign.
- Log into FTS, and click the ProCard/GoCard Statement Submission link.
- Enter the cardholder Employee ID, the ProCard invoice number, and the statement date.
- Upload the signed statement as an attachment.
- Click Submit.
- What Not to do With Your ProCard
- Loan out their ProCard.
- Purchase anything that requires a contract or agreement.
- Purchase software and online services.
- Purchase anything that requires FD&O or University Advancement approval.
For university business related travel expenses, utilize the GoCard.