Special Approval is required for the purchase of certain goods and services regardless of cost and method of payment.
You can also review special approvals by department.
- Catering / Food Services
Spartan Eats has the privilege of providing the first quote for catering services.
- Price quote from Spartan Eats.
- Price quote from the outside provider. Please check the Secondary Catering List if a provider is not listed, please fill out the Catering Application [pdf].
- Justification for using the outside provider.
- Hospitality Expense Justification Form [pdf].
- Confirming Orders
Requisitions submitted after the order has been placed or after the University has received the products/services violates our Confirming Orders Policy.
You can resolve a Confirming Order by providing a memo signed by your Approving Official, detailing the reasons this expenditure was made outside of the allowable methods. This memo should be written to the attention of the Director of Strategic Sourcing and also include a detailed course of action to prevent "confirming orders" from occurring again.
Upload the signed memo to the requisition. (Do not send memos directly to the Director of Strategic Sourcing.)
- Facilities Requests
- Fixtures, Furniture and Equipment (FF&E)
Departments must request FD&O review and receive written approval for Fixtures, Furniture and Equipment (FF&E) items before submitting a requisition in FTS.
FF&E Permits [pdf] are required for the following:
- Items weighing over 400 pounds.
- Items over 5 feet 9 inches in height.
- Systems and modular furniture regardless of height.
- Anything being installed or placed in a hallway or other area of egress.
- Items such as built-in fume hoods, portable fume hoods, generators, and kilns.
- Orders of more than 5 chairs.
- Orders of more than 3 tables.
- Fabric wrapped furniture (e.g. couches, arm chairs, benches).
- Reception desks, help desks, and service counters.
You cannot install these FF&E items until your permit application has been approved. Please refer to the FF&E Permit Requirements [pdf] for more information.
- Hazardous Materials
The use of new chemicals is reviewed by the campus Chemical Hygiene Officer. To request a new research chemical, please submit the Hazardous Materials Request Form [pdf].
- Independent Contractor vs Employee
Campuses must comply with State/Federal laws and CSU policies regarding the proper classification of employees and independent contractors. Misclassification of a worker as an independent contractor can result in considerable wage and benefit obligations, financial penalties, tax consequences, and other liabilities.
When departments are considering using a current vendor in our system or onboarding a new independant contractor, we ask that you:
1. Complete the following documents:
- ABC Test provided by the State of California.
- Independent Contractor vs Employee Worksheet [pdf].
- Description of Duties or Scope of Work [pdf].
2. Submit these documents to University Personnel for review and authorization:
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
All Information and Communication Technology (ICT) purchases require review for:
- Accessibility to ensure Section 508 compliance.
- Adherence to data security standards.
- Feasibility and integration.
We recommend that departments complete a Technology Requisition Impact Assessment (TRIA) form before submitting a requisition.
- Intellectual Property
- Research Related Agreements
- SJSU Logos and Trademarks
- Special University Events
- Student Organization Events
- Temporary Staffing and Contracted Services
All requisitions for contracted services that could potentially be performed by a CSUEU staff member must be reviewed and approved by UP Compliance to:
- Ensure there is no favoritism in the acquisition of goods and services.
- Comply with conflict of interest policies.
- Verify the contractor is complying with IRS guidelines.
Should the contract meet or exceed 180 days, a meet and confer with the CSUEU may be required. Notice to the Union is required by the 120 day mark.
If the contracted service is outside the scope of the bargaining units, then departments do not need University Personnel approval.