Special Approval is required for the purchase of certain goods and services regardless of cost and method of payment.
You can also review special approvals by department.
- Catering / Food Services
Spartan Eats has the privilege of providing the first quote for catering services.
Other providers may be used when Spartan Eats cannot accommodate a request, or if an acceptable menu cannot be achieved. Please attached the following to your requisition or direct pay request:
- Price quote from Spartan Eats.
- Price quote from the outside provider. Please check the Secondary Catering List if a provider is not listed, please fill out the Catering Application [pdf].
- Justification for using the outside provider.
- Hospitality Expense Justification Form [pdf].
All Catering/food services must comply with Hospitality Guidelines.
- Confirming Orders
Requisitions submitted after the order has been placed or after the University has received the products/services violates our Confirming Orders Policy.
You can resolve a Confirming Order by providing a memo signed by your Approving Official, detailing the reasons this expenditure was made outside of the allowable methods. This memo should be written to the attention of the Director of Strategic Sourcing and also include a detailed course of action to prevent "confirming orders" from occurring again.
Upload the signed memo to the requisition. (Do not send memos directly to the Director of Strategic Sourcing.)
- Facilities Requests
If you need to use an SJSU Building or Facility for a scheduled event, please submit a FD&O Facilities Request.
Special Events may also require liability insurance [pdf] and event security.
- Fixtures, Furniture and Equipment (FF&E)
Departments must request FD&O review and receive written approval for Fixtures, Furniture and Equipment (FF&E) items before submitting a requisition in FTS.
FF&E Permits [pdf] are required for the following:
- Items weighing over 400 pounds.
- Items over 5 feet 9 inches in height.
- Systems and modular furniture regardless of height.
- Anything being installed or placed in a hallway or other area of egress.
- Items such as built-in fume hoods, portable fume hoods, generators, and kilns.
- Orders of more than 5 chairs.
- Orders of more than 3 tables.
- Fabric wrapped furniture (e.g. couches, arm chairs, benches).
- Reception desks, help desks, and service counters.
You cannot install these FF&E items until your permit application has been approved. Please refer to the FF&E Permit Requirements [pdf] for more information.
- Hazardous Materials
The use of new chemicals is reviewed by the campus Chemical Hygiene Officer. To request a new research chemical, please submit the Hazardous Materials Request Form [pdf].
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
All Information and Communication Technology (ICT) purchases require review for:
- Accessibility to ensure Section 508 compliance.
- Adherence to data security standards.
- Feasibility and integration.
We recommend that departments complete a Technology Requisition Impact Assessment (TRIA) form before submitting a requisition.
Contracts involving Intellectual Property (IP) must be reviewed and approved by the Research Foundation.
For more information on intellectual/creative property, including patents, copyright, trademarks, or trade secrets, please refer to Intellectual Property.
- Research Related Agreements
Research projects that require a Confidential Disclosure Agreement, Material Transfer Agreement, Data Use Agreement, or other agreements must be reviewed and approved by the SJSU Research Foundation.
For more information see their Industry Agreements page
- SJSU Logos and Trademarks
To ensure consistency in University branding to the public, logos and university marks must be approved by Strategic Communications and Marketing before submitting a requisition.
For more information, see Using SJSU's Name and Identity.
- Special University Events
Special Events require:
For more information, see the Special Events Policy and Risk Management.
- Student Organization Events
Student Organization Events require:
For more information, see the Student Organization Events Policy and Risk Management.
- Temporary Staffing and Contracted Services
All requisitions for contracted services that could potentially be performed by a CSUEU staff member must be reviewed and approved by UP Compliance to:
- Ensure there is no favoritism in the acquisition of goods and services.
- Comply with conflict of interest policies.
- Verify the contractor is complying with IRS guidelines.
Should the contract meet or exceed 180 days, a meet and confer with the CSUEU may be required. Notice to the Union is required by the 120 day mark.
If the contracted service is outside the scope of the bargaining units, then departments do not need University Personnel approval.