IT Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The SJSU IT Division is Committted to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Access to education has been a central mission of my life, because it has radically changed my life and my family’s life. I'm a first-generation American college student from an immigrant family. I was born in Laos and became a refugee when I was seven years old. When we arrived in the U.S., my Mom took a job as a housekeeper, and my Dad worked as a janitor. With the support of my family, I earned my Bachelor of Science degree in International Business from San Francisco State University and my MBA from St. Mary's College. I have worked for Fortune international companies such as Andersen Consulting (now Accenture) and start-up organizations like Teligent. At San Jose State University, I’m extremely proud of our work in creating a diverse and inclusive workplace culture where everyone’s voice is heard and people feel valued. It has become a central part of SJSU IT. I believe our leadership should reflect our campus community and that students should be able to see themselves as future leaders.
Vice President of Information Technology/CIO
- The word Nowruz (Novruz, Navruz, Nooruz, Nevruz, Nauryz) means “new day” and the Nowruz celebration marks the first day of spring on the day of the astronomical vernal equinox, which usually occurs on or around March 21.
- Holi, an ancient Hindu festival to express the pure joy of the triumph of good over evil, is being celebrated today, March 8th, this year.
Visit our IT Blog to read more messages from the SJSU IT DEI Committee.
- Coming Soon: Microaggression Training for IT Division Staff
DEI Vision Statement
SJSU IT Division commits itself to the personal, professional, and academic success of all of our campus community, including people of color, people with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, those with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and people of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions, through exemplary implementation and support of its technologies, services, and innovation.
DEI Mission Statement
San Jose State University’s IT Division recognizes and actively affirms the dignity of those it serves, regardless of heritage, education, beliefs, race, income, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and physical or mental capabilities.
SJSU IT makes diversity, equity, and inclusion a priority in planning and decision making for all projects, procedures, and services, and is dedicated to creating an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful organizational culture that appreciates, celebrates, and supports individual differences. We foster an environment that encourages innovative ways of using technology and methodology in all aspects of IT.
We welcome and honor the diversity of our campus and the community we serve by:
- Fostering an atmosphere of dignity and respect
- Encouraging the exploration of new ideas and perspectives in an open, safe, and positive environment
- Working with diverse communities to determine appropriate ways to design, deliver, and evaluate SJSU IT services
SJSU IT Division DEI Goals
Recruitment and Retention
Recruit, Retain, and Promote Diverse Staff
Identify outreach opportunities internally and externally through which we can advertise new positions and improve diversity of job applicants
Infrastructure and Technology
Provide Strategic Oversight with Technology
Review Technology Requisition Impact Assessment process for completeness and identify any group that is underprivileged with current or future technology solutions
Community and Environment
Promote a Strong Sense of Belonging
Continue current practices of IT Division communication and staff involvement for work-life balance, health and safety, and a sense of belonging
Engage and Educate
Engage Members to Develop Educational Strategies
Promote interdivision collaboration within the IT Division through cross-pollination practices to promote employee growth, upskilling, and career advancement
The IT Sparta Awards are given to one team and one individual each year to recognize those staff members who serve our campus with distinction and work tirelessly behind the scenes to keep SJSU amazing.
The members of the SJSU IT Division DEI Committee are:
- Bob Lim, VP/CIO, Information Technology, Chair
- Kara Li, Associate Vice President, Strategic Planning & Portfolio Managment
- Maggie Panahi Ph. D, IT Project Director
- Matthew Loo, Sr. IT Support Specialist
- Norma Brown, IT Consultant
- Ryan Campbell, OnBase IT Consultant
- Tino Cruz, Network Service Lead
- Willie Simon, Employee Engagement Specialist