Honors Wind Ensemble
We are once again hosting the SJSU Honors Wind Ensemble for high school students in the Spring of 2022! This academic year, due to continuing concerns about COVID, we were unable to host the event in the Fall, but we are able to make it work in February/March 2022
Our Composer-in-Residence this year is Viet Cuong
Just as in 2019, accepted members will be split into two separate bands:
- Wind Ensemble: Limited to one on a part and conducted by SJSU Director of Bands, Dr. David Vickerman
- Wind Symphony: Multiple students on each part and conducted by SJSU Assistant Director of Bands, Dr. Craig McKenzie.
Both ensembles are created through director/studio teacher recommendations. After reviewing nominations, the selected students will come for an afternoon and evening rehearsal day (Sunday, February 27), followed by a dress rehearsal and concert two weeks later (Sunday, March 13).
The Honors Wind Ensembles will include at least one musician from each school/studio that fills out a nomination form, but directors/studio teachers are encouraged to nominate as many students as they want, as long as they feel confident that students can rehearse and perform at a high level. (Private studio teachers are guaranteed at least one student will be accepted as long as they nominate AT LEAST 3 students.)
*IMPORTANT THIS YEAR: Participating students must be vaccinated. Proof of vaccination will be required on the first day or the student will not be allowed to participate.
- Sunday, February 27 - Seating Auditions, Rehearsals and Masterclasses
- Sunday, March 13 - Dress Rehearsal with Viet Cuong and Concert featuring the SJSU
*all participating Honors Wind Ensemble members must attend both days of rehearsals*
*All participating Honors Wind Ensemble members must attend both days of the workshop.*
Selected students will pay a $60 fee for both days, which includes the two days of rehearsals and workshops as well as:
- Meet and talk with composer-in-residence, Viet Cuong
- Meet and work with SJSU artist faculty, including Director of Bands, David Vickerman and Assistant Director of Bands Craig McKenzie
- Talk with current SJSU students to ask about life as a music major and how to prepare for college and auditions.
- Hear a concert by the SJSU Wind Ensemble as they prepare to perform at CBDNA in March.
How to Nominate Students1. Verify that the students you want to nominate can commit to both days before nominating them.
2. Nomination form - Click here to nominate students
- This form is only to be filled out by band directors or studio teachers, not by students.
- Currently, there is no restriction on the number of students you may nominate.
- Just FYI: You will need the following information for the nominations:
- Student Email and Contact Phone Number (mobile/cell preferred) PLEASE double/triple check the emails for the students. This will be our primary method of communication and we want to make sure they don't miss anything!
- Student Interest: Here is an optional form you can print to gather information about your students' interest. It is not required to have this info, but is helpful in our decision-making process.
If you have any questions about the application, please email SJSU Bands Graduate Student, Greg Conway - We look forward to hosting your students here at SJSU!