Honors Wind Ensemble
We are once again hosting the SJSU Honors Wind Ensemble for high school students in the Spring of 2023!
Our Composer-in-Residence this year is Alex Shapiro
Accepted members will be split into two separate bands:
- Wind Ensemble: Limited to one on a part and conducted by SJSU Director of Bands, Dr. David Vickerman
- Wind Symphony: Multiple students on each part and conducted by SJSU Assistant Director of Bands, Dr. Craig McKenzie.
Both ensembles are created through director/studio teacher recommendations. After reviewing nominations, the selected students will come for an afternoon and evening rehearsal day, which includes ensemble seating auditions, followed by a dress rehearsal and concert two weeks later. (see dates below)
The Honors Wind Ensembles will include at least one musician from each school/studio that fills out a nomination form as long as they nominate AT LEAST 3 students. Directors/studio teachers are encouraged to nominate as many students as they want, as long as they feel confident that students can rehearse and perform at a high level.
*IMPORTANT THIS YEAR: Participating students must be vaccinated. Proof of vaccination will be required on the first day or the student will not be allowed to participate.
Detailed Schedule TBD
- Sunday, March 12 - Seating Auditions, Rehearsals and Masterclasses
- Sunday, March 19 - Dress Rehearsal with Alex Shapiro and Concert featuring the SJSU
*all participating Honors Wind Ensemble members must attend both days of rehearsals*
*All participating Honors Wind Ensemble members must attend both days of the workshop.*
Selected students will pay a $75 fee for both days, which includes the two days of rehearsals and workshops as well as:
- Meet and talk with composer-in-residence, Alex Shapiro
- Meet and work with SJSU artist faculty, including Director of Bands, David Vickerman and Assistant Director of Bands Craig McKenzie
- Talk with current SJSU students to ask about life as a music major and how to prepare for college and auditions.
- Hear a concert by the SJSU Wind Ensemble as they prepare to perform at CBDNA in March.
- January 31, 2023 by midnight
How to Nominate Students
1. Verify that the students you want to nominate can commit to both days before nominating
2. Nomination form - Click here to nominate students
- This form is only to be filled out by band directors or studio teachers, not by students.
- Currently, there is no restriction on the number of students you may nominate.
- Just FYI: You will need the following information for the nominations:
- Student Email and Contact Phone Number (mobile/cell preferred) PLEASE double/triple check the emails for the students. This will be our primary method of communication and we want to make sure they don't miss anything!
- Student Interest: Here is an optional form you can print to gather information about your students' interest. It is not required to have this info, but is helpful in our decision-making process.
If you have any questions about the application, please email SJSU Bands Graduate Student, Travis Nasatir - We look forward to hosting your students here at SJSU!