SJSU Bands News and Announcements
Audition Information — Fall 2020
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, concert band auditions (Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band) will be conducted via video this semester. Video recordings of your audition will be uploaded to YouTube as an unlisted link. See below for more instructions.
Auditionee must play TWO contrasting sections of music and scales as listed:
- One fast section to demonstrate technical ability AND one slow section to demonstrate
- (Auditionee may also prepare either two solo pieces of contrasting styles or one that includes both fast and slow sections.)
- Saxophones: To be considered for Wind Ensemble, you need to perform the excerpts as assigned by our artist teacher of saxophone, Dr. Michael Hernandez. Email him at email@example.com to get the excerpts.
- Percussion: Contact our artist teacher of percussion, Galen Lemmon, to be considered for Wind Ensemble.
- Chromatic Scale - full range of instrument
Total video should be no longer than 8 minutes of playing.
Upload your video to YouTube as unlisted then share the link on this audition form. If you need help on this, you can read more on the YouTube Help section on privacy settings.
Results for Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band will be posted online via social media and the website.
(Have your video recorded and uploaded already!)
The form and video is due Tuesday, August 18 at 5 PM.
About Symphonic Band
The Symphonic Band performs a wide variety of literature, including the masterworks for band, and contemporary wind literature. Under the direction of Dr. David Vickerman and Craig McKenzie, the philosophy of the Symphonic Band is to encourage musical growth in all students through careful selection of appropriate repertoire. Symphonic Band is open to both music and non-music majors, and performs twice each semester.
Music Majors focusing on classical performance must participate in either Wind Ensemble or Symphonic Band as a major ensemble. Auditions are held at the beginning of each semester and are open to all majors. Students will sight-read and perform a prepared piece. Instruments are available to students who pay a $30 Music Use Fee each semester. Scholarship awards are based upon performance level and the needs of the School. There is no additional cost to the student for local and regional band travel and tours.
Auditions are not required for Symphonic Band, but are used for seating.