Tax Withholding Information
Employees may change their state and federal income tax withholding allowance at any time during the year by completing Form W4 [pdf] for federal tax withholding changes and Form DE-4 [pdf] for state withholding changes.
- Individual Federal and State Income Tax rates are determined by the W4 form completed by the employee.
- Employees can complete the DE-4 to withhold different tax amounts for the State.
- The Medicare rate is 1.45% and effective November 1, 2013 an additional .9% on wages earned in excess of $200,000.
- The Social Security rate is 6.2% on the first $128,400 wages earned.
- The State Disability Insurance (SDI) rate is 1.0% on the first $114,967 wages earned. The SJSU Research Foundation pays for the employee SDI tax as an added fringe benefit. The maximum SDI contribution is $1,149.67.
The Affordable Care Act requires employers to report employer sponsored health coverage amounts in box 12DD of W-2. This reporting requirement is for information only and bears no tax consequence.