Industry-Sponsored Research Award
The San José State University Research Foundation invites you to mark your calendar for Monday, October 16, 2023, at which time the call for the inaugural Industry-Sponsored Research Award nominations open.
The new Industry-Sponsored Research Award will recognize SJSU faculty and staff who have pursued research with a partner from private industry.
- The funding source to the Research Foundation must come directly from a non-profit, or for-profit organization with a shared output defined in the scope of work.
- Projects of $10K or greater with a project completion date within the 2023 fiscal year.
- Nominations may come from university administration or the faculty member’s academic unit (dean, chair, or faculty). Nominators do not need to be tenured or tenure-track.
- Self-nominations will also be accepted. Faculty members who are submitting a self-nomination should notify their dean and chair of their submission.
To nominate an individual, please complete the SJSU Research Foundation Industry-sponsored Research Award Nomination Form (LINK TO FORM — opens October 16, 2023). Explain your reasons for nominating the faculty member and describe the accomplishments of the nominee as they relate to the selection criteria listed above. Please include the name of the project and the name of the project sponsor. You may do so on the nomination form, or you may submit a letter containing that information (maximum one page, 12 point Times New Roman font). Nominations should also include a CV or resume. Nominations are due Friday, January 19, 2024, at 11:59 p.m.
- Industry funding amount.
- Creation of intellectual property.
- Student involvement and description of student outcomes.
The selection committee will consist of the Associate Vice President for Research, the Research Foundation Executive Director, the Director of Innovation, one faculty researcher, and a member of the Innovation Advisory Council.
Reward and recognition
The award recipient will receive a commemorative trophy, a cash award of $5,000, and a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition. The award will be presented at the Celebration of Research. A profile of each recipient’s accomplishments will be announced to faculty and staff via email, and featured on the Research Foundation’s website and in the Research Foundation’s Annual Report. This information may also be publicized in university media.